Dec 24, 2012, 9:41 AM EDT
LeBron James is a powerful in-game dunker.
Sometimes those kinds of dunkers don’t translate well to the showy exhibition that is the NBA’s Dunk Contest All-Star weekend. Think Shannon Brown. Heck, Jazz forward Jeremy Evans told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida he could beat LeBron in the contest because we’ve never seen LeBron in that kind of competition.
And we never will, LeBron told Tomasson.
“No,” said James, who turns 28 on Dec. 30. “It’s over with. I’m getting too old for that. … There were times when I wanted to do it. But I came into All-Star Weekend a few times banged up and I didn’t want to risk further injury.”
LeBron was even good with Evans’ boast.
“I’m not a dunk-contest guy, so he probably could beat me in a dunk contest,” James said. “I’m OK with that.”
I’m not sure we ever thought we would see LeBron do the contest, but it seems a bit of a waste. A loss for us. Michael Jordan did it (those against Dominique Wilkins were classics), Kobe Bryant did it, Dr. J did it, Amare Stoudemire did it, Vince Carter did it, Dwight Howard did it and revived it, Blake Griffin did it, a lot of the games great star dunkers gave it a shot.
But we’ll never see LeBron do it. And he’s good with that
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 4
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record