Dec 24, 2012, 11:37 AM EST
LeBron James can opt out of his contract with the Miami Heat in the summer of 2014.
He likely will do that just to sign another max extension for five years with the Heat. It’s a long shot he leaves South Beach… so you’re telling me there’s a chance? The fact that that the best player in the game today has the possibility of being on the move has teams and fans dreaming like they did when he was a free agent a couple years ago.
So, how about a “he will come back to Cleveland” dream?
That’s what Jason Lloyd of the Beacon-Journal talked about in a column looking at the Cavaliers long-term rebuilding plans.
And yes, believe it or not, he will give Cleveland a close look. He has a relationship with (Kyrie) Irving and (Tristan) Thompson. His new agent, Rich Paul, is a local guy who has long been a close friend. Paul also represents Thompson. A number of pieces are aligning, but the biggest draw is missing.
The Cavs realistically must be a playoff team for James to consider them. He will turn 30 during the 2014-15 season. It’s inconceivable he would return to Cleveland for a rebuilding project. That means the Cavs will at least have to make the playoffs next season for them to be viable contenders in a free-agent market that will surely include the Heat and Los Angeles Lakers.
Personally I doubt LeBron goes anywhere. He will spend the rest of his prime in Miami (maybe the rest of his career).
But you can expect a lot of articles about dreams the next couple years until LeBron inks that new max deal.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 9
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 23
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 53
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (53)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)