Dec 24, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Chris Wilcox was not getting a lot of run with the Celtics — he hadn’t played more than 20 minutes in a game since Dec. 5 — but with their thin front line he was still getting some run.
But he has a sprained right thumb and is going to be out of the rotation, Doc Rivers said Sunday.
“Chris is out; he’s out for a while,” Rivers said. “I don’t know how long (but) the first report I got was three to four weeks. He’ll be out.”
It says something about where Fab Melo’s game is at that rather than call him back up to the big team the Celtics reached out and grabbed Jarvis Varnado of Sioux Falls in the D-League.
The book on Varnado is that he is strong on the defensive end blocking shots and rebounding, and that he hustles. He plays hard. Boston could use that. Any offense is likely found offense (offensive rebounds, passes for dunks when he is uncovered) although he can knock down a midrange. The shot isn’t pretty, but it can be effective. He’s not going to get a lot of run but he’s the kind of D-League player that has earned a chance.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 4
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 23
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 29
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 34
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17