Dec 24, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Chris Wilcox was not getting a lot of run with the Celtics — he hadn’t played more than 20 minutes in a game since Dec. 5 — but with their thin front line he was still getting some run.
But he has a sprained right thumb and is going to be out of the rotation, Doc Rivers said Sunday.
“Chris is out; he’s out for a while,” Rivers said. “I don’t know how long (but) the first report I got was three to four weeks. He’ll be out.”
It says something about where Fab Melo’s game is at that rather than call him back up to the big team the Celtics reached out and grabbed Jarvis Varnado of Sioux Falls in the D-League.
The book on Varnado is that he is strong on the defensive end blocking shots and rebounding, and that he hustles. He plays hard. Boston could use that. Any offense is likely found offense (offensive rebounds, passes for dunks when he is uncovered) although he can knock down a midrange. The shot isn’t pretty, but it can be effective. He’s not going to get a lot of run but he’s the kind of D-League player that has earned a chance.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 12
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 1
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 1
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 8
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 20