Dec 24, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Chris Wilcox was not getting a lot of run with the Celtics — he hadn’t played more than 20 minutes in a game since Dec. 5 — but with their thin front line he was still getting some run.
But he has a sprained right thumb and is going to be out of the rotation, Doc Rivers said Sunday.
“Chris is out; he’s out for a while,” Rivers said. “I don’t know how long (but) the first report I got was three to four weeks. He’ll be out.”
It says something about where Fab Melo’s game is at that rather than call him back up to the big team the Celtics reached out and grabbed Jarvis Varnado of Sioux Falls in the D-League.
The book on Varnado is that he is strong on the defensive end blocking shots and rebounding, and that he hustles. He plays hard. Boston could use that. Any offense is likely found offense (offensive rebounds, passes for dunks when he is uncovered) although he can knock down a midrange. The shot isn’t pretty, but it can be effective. He’s not going to get a lot of run but he’s the kind of D-League player that has earned a chance.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 0
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12