Dec 24, 2012, 11:14 AM EST
Chris Wilcox was not getting a lot of run with the Celtics — he hadn’t played more than 20 minutes in a game since Dec. 5 — but with their thin front line he was still getting some run.
But he has a sprained right thumb and is going to be out of the rotation, Doc Rivers said Sunday.
“Chris is out; he’s out for a while,” Rivers said. “I don’t know how long (but) the first report I got was three to four weeks. He’ll be out.”
It says something about where Fab Melo’s game is at that rather than call him back up to the big team the Celtics reached out and grabbed Jarvis Varnado of Sioux Falls in the D-League.
The book on Varnado is that he is strong on the defensive end blocking shots and rebounding, and that he hustles. He plays hard. Boston could use that. Any offense is likely found offense (offensive rebounds, passes for dunks when he is uncovered) although he can knock down a midrange. The shot isn’t pretty, but it can be effective. He’s not going to get a lot of run but he’s the kind of D-League player that has earned a chance.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)