Dec 24, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Chris Wilcox was not getting a lot of run with the Celtics — he hadn’t played more than 20 minutes in a game since Dec. 5 — but with their thin front line he was still getting some run.
But he has a sprained right thumb and is going to be out of the rotation, Doc Rivers said Sunday.
“Chris is out; he’s out for a while,” Rivers said. “I don’t know how long (but) the first report I got was three to four weeks. He’ll be out.”
It says something about where Fab Melo’s game is at that rather than call him back up to the big team the Celtics reached out and grabbed Jarvis Varnado of Sioux Falls in the D-League.
The book on Varnado is that he is strong on the defensive end blocking shots and rebounding, and that he hustles. He plays hard. Boston could use that. Any offense is likely found offense (offensive rebounds, passes for dunks when he is uncovered) although he can knock down a midrange. The shot isn’t pretty, but it can be effective. He’s not going to get a lot of run but he’s the kind of D-League player that has earned a chance.
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 6
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 29