Dec 23, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
This may be the nudge the Utah Jazz needed.
Thanks in large part to a brutal road schedule (17 of first 28 games on the road), Utah has been a bit disappointing to start the season. Ty Corbin has done a lot of lineup juggling, but the trade winds are understandably swirling given Utah’s immense frontcourt depth. It has been previously reported that Utah is looking to deal Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson — or perhaps both — to free up time for young studs Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter. That all makes sense.
Utah has been searching for a top level point guard since they dealt Deron Williams two years ago, but now that the prospect of trotting out Jamaal Tinsley for an extended period of time is becoming a reality, you can only imagine the search hastening. Here’s the news on Mo Williams from Bill Oram of the Salt Lake City Tribune:
Jazz announce Mo Williams is out indefinitely with injury to right thumb. Jamaal Tinsley starts in his place.
— Bill Oram (@tribjazz) December 23, 2012
Mo Williams is not an elite point guard by any means, but he’s a serviceable one, especially given Utah’s roster composition. Williams has stretched the floor pretty well for the Jazz, shooting 37 percent from behind the arc while functioning as the team’s floor general. Williams is a stop-gap guard this year, but Utah has real playoff aspirations, and Jamaal Tinsley just isn’t the guy for that. Utah is already hard up for spacing, and Tinsley is an Andre Miller-esque perimeter shooter, converting just 32 percent of his chances this year from the field.
If Williams is out for an extended period of time — and it sounds as though he will be — Utah will be in serious trouble. It seems like every team has a quick point guard who can hit you for 20 points, and the 34-year-old Tinsley won’t offer much resistance.
Moving or losing a frontcourt piece had to happen at some point, but with Williams out indefinitely, the time for the Jazz to make a move is now.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 76
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32