LeBron James: “If I wanted to, I could lead the league in scoring.”

Dec 23, 2012, 4:30 PM EST

Miami Heat's James passes against the Detroit Pistons in a preseason NBA basketball game in Miami Reuters

LeBron James has been great this season, but he’s not leading the league in scoring. That title currently belongs to Kobe Bryant; a guy who has more buckets than someone in Seattle with a leaky roof. LeBron is actually 5th in the NBA in scoring right now (behind Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant and James Harden), and he’s also averaging his lowest points per game total since his rookie season.

Now, before you go searching for explanations and blame the championship hangover or whatever else, allow LeBron to clear things up for you. He doesn’t want to lead the league in scoring. He can, but he doesn’t want to.

That seems like a weird thing not to want, but let’s let LeBron explain himself:

“If I wanted to, I could lead the league in scoring, but that’s not my job here,” James said.

“My job is to do a lot of everything — rebounding, passing and defending so that takes away from my scoring. I’ve done (the scoring title) before. I’m capable of doing it, but my game sometimes doesn’t allow me to have those big nights.”

“I’m shooting 54 percent from the field right now, so if I shoot 54 percent at 25 shots a game? Pff, that’s like … doing my math … that’s 27 points right there. That’s without shooting free throws and shooting 42 percent from the 3-point line.”

“I could do it if I wanted to,” James reiterated.

Via Heat Index | Tom Haberstroh

Remember when Sasha Vujacic said he could score 20 or 30 points anytime he wanted to? This is just like that, except the exact opposite. The natural inclination may be to scoff at LeBron’s comments, to want to call him on his bluff, but James really could lead the league in scoring if he felt like it.

Remember, he’s done it before. LeBron led the league in scoring in the 2007-08 season, when he scored exactly 30 points a game.

And as LeBron so astutely pointed out, he’s shooting 54 percent from the field and a ridiculous 44 percent from the 3-point line. He could easily stand to chuck up about 7 or 8 more shots a game, still have great percentages, and lead the league in scoring.

You know what? You almost wish LeBron would gun for it, just so he could start an arms race with the likes of Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant. Who would be more shameless in their attempt to lock down the title at the end of the year? Bryant shot the ball 41 times last night against Golden State, and the part of me that hates good basketball kind of wants to see that every night. It would be everything the ABA was, minus the pastels and the afros.

For now though, we’ll have to take LeBron’s word for it, and hope that he chases another stat achievement entirely. He’s not particularly close right now, but LeBron probably has the best shot to average a triple-double over an entire season. That’s only been done only once in NBA history — way back in 1961 when Oscar Robertson averaged 30 points, 12 rebounds, and 11 assists a game. Mind you, Robertson also played 44 minutes a night, something Erik Spoelstra wouldn’t dream of doing with his star, but we can still dream. James is currently averaging 25.4 points, 8.5 rebounds and 6.8 assists a game, so unless the scorekeepers in Miami start being really friendly with the assists, it’s highly unlikely.

But 82 games is a long time, and the tales of Michael Jordan’s trash talk would lead you to believe that players crave any sort of extra motivation they can get to make things more interesting for themselves over a long season.

Someone just needs to tell LeBron he can’t average a triple-double for a full season, and then maybe he would.

Someone bigger and scarier than I am, preferably.