Dec 23, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The Bucks got a nice road victory over the Celtics on Friday, one that required overtime in Boston to achieve that desired result.
Monta Ellis and Paul Pierce did the heavy lifting for their respective teams in the scoring department, but there was a battle going on at the point guard spot that might have been the most entertaining of the evening, had we been privy to what was actually being said.
With neither player backing down, things escalated quickly, to the point where Jennings wondered if something physical erupting between the two was a distinct possibility.
Brandon Jennings and Rajon Rondo were exchanging not-so-pleasantries in the first quarter Friday night in Boston.
Jennings responded to a not-so-gentle nudge from Rondo and the trash talking commenced.
“It was the first quarter,” Jennings said. “I thought at one point we were going to start fighting, but nobody wants to give up that money.”
“I just tried not to get caught up in it,” Jennings said. “He’s going to talk mess. That’s who Rondo is as a point guard.”
It’s interesting that Rondo has adopted the trash-talking persona of Kevin Garnett as a means to an end in trying to get inside his opponent’s head. In this case, however, the two players simply just canceled each other out.
Rondo played 45 minutes and finished with 6 points on 3-of-8 shooting, to go along with 11 assists and four steals.
Jennings played 48 minutes, and scored 12 points on 4-of-11 shooting, while grabbing 11 rebounds and dishing out eight assists, though he did turn the ball over seven times in the process.
No one’s going to fight in an NBA game; the closest you’ll get to that before things are broken up by teammates and officials is something to the effect of the altercation we saw between Tyson Chandler and Joakim Noah.
But it’s good to know that when the mics are off and the ball goes up, things get heated enough during the competition to make players consider it.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49