Dec 22, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
But in a vintage Knicks mode, they are being secretive about the foot injury keeping him out. Now the Daily News is reporting it may be a stress fracture.
Rasheed Wallace’s mysterious “sore foot” injury is really a stress fracture, according to a Knicks source.
Officially, the team is listing Wallace’s status as day-to-day, but privately it is optimistic that the injury won’t sideline the veteran forward for an extended period of time. …The hope is that he’ll be back at some point after the Knicks’ three-game West Coast trip that begins on Christmas Day against the Lakers in Los Angeles. Wallace, who has missed six games overall because of his foot injury, is using a walking boot on his left foot.
This would make a lot of sense and seems to fit the pattern of his absence. The Knicks are being secretive about this because… it’s a matter of national security? I don’t know. It’s a midseason foot injury to a role player. But it is the Knicks. Whatever.
Wallace is averaging 7.2 points a game shooting 38.8 percent overall and 32.4 percent from three. His value as a big who can stretch the floor and create space for guys to slash inside has been greater than just the numbers show. Plus, Wallace has provided an entertainment value this season few can match. The game is more fun when he is yelling “ball don’t lie.”
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under two hours, players barely notice 0
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 9
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 6
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 30
- Suns coach Hornacek says shortening games won’t help teams rest their stars 2
- Lakers coach Byron Scott’s philosophy on three-pointers: ‘I don’t believe it wins championships’ 33
- Accounting for Klay Thompson choosing a contract extension over new-TV-deal money 2
- Kobe Bryant calls ESPN voters who ranked him No. 40 ‘idiots’ 34