Dec 22, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
Midway through the first quarter against the Magic Friday night Raptors prized rookie Jonas Valanciunas was scrambling for a loose rebound on the ground and came up grabbing his finger.
Turns he broke the ring finger on his right hand and is going to be out indefinitely.
On the season, Valanciunas is averaging 7.8 points per game on 52 percent shooting with 5.3 rebounds a game. But Valanciunas has improved steadily over the course of the season (even though he is seeing his minutes drop). He shot 46 percent his first 10 games but that was up to 59 percent his last eight (but he is playing a smaller role in the offense). He also has been playing better defense of late.
He’s a rookie starting to figure it out. And now we can put that on pause for a month. Sorry Raptors fans.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21