Mavericks release Derek Fisher at his request

Dec 22, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

It was believed that veteran point guard Derek Fisher had finally found a home for this season, after being unemployed for the first couple of months while reportedly waiting for the right situation to present itself.

But after spending just a few weeks in Dallas, Fisher has come to the conclusion that family is more important to him at this time.

Fisher asked to be released, and the team has granted his request.

From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:

In a statement he issued Saturday night to confirm the move, Fisher said: “In Tuesday’s game against Philadelphia, I suffered an injury to my patellar tendon. The recovery time will be approximately two weeks. With this news and the difficulty I have been having being away from my family, I have asked the organization to waive me so I can return home.

“(Mavericks owner) Mark Cuban has been extremely supportive and has granted me this request. I cannot say enough good things about this organization. From Mark, to Coach (Rick) Carlisle, to the players on the Mavericks’ team, I sincerely thank them for the opportunity.

“I have made decisions in the past, leaving money and opportunity on the table, and I will need to do that again. My family is my priority and that is where I choose to be. I won’t close the possibility that I will play again, however for now my family and being close to them remains the priority.”

This sounds like the end of the line for Fisher, at least in terms of the rest of this season. Should his family issues be sorted out in time for the playoffs, in wouldn’t be a surprise to see him land with a contender before the postseason begins.

Fisher averaged 8.6 points, and 3.6 assists in nine games with the Mavericks, while playing over 25 minutes per game.

Dallas is expected to call up Chris Douglas-Roberts from the D-League to replace Fisher on the team’s roster.

Latest Posts
  1. Supreme Court has a basketball court (photo)

Aug 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Highest Court in the Land

2. Damian Lillard first in line as Team USA injury replacement

Aug 28, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT

Dominican Republic v United States Getty Images

Could Trail Blazers guard replace Derrick Rose in World Cup?

3. Watch the World Cup hype video

Aug 28, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

See Pau Gasol, Ricky Rubio, Jose Calderon and Serge Ibaka dance

4. Rockets sign undrafted Tarik Black to partially guaranteed two-year contract

Aug 28, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Tarik Black, Hassan Whiteside, DeAndre Daniels Tarik Black, Hassan Whiteside, DeAndre Daniels

Black, who played at Kansas and Memphis, could be headed to Houston’s D-League affiliate

5. David Griffin defends Cavaliers’ pursuit of John Calipari

Aug 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

David Griffin David Griffin

Dan Gilbert, after throwing money at Kentucky coach, settled for management that landed LeBron James and Kevin Love this offseason

6. Lakers’ physical therapist: Kobe Bryant has highest pain tolerance I’ve ever seen

Aug 28, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Charlotte Bobcats Getty Images

Judy Seto doesn’t even bother asking Kobe to rate his pain, because the question is pointless

7. Dante Exum to come off the bench for Australia in World Cup

Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT

Dante Exum Dante Exum

Jazz guard will play behind Matthew Dellavedova and Ryan Broekhoff

8. Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts

Aug 28, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Dominican Republic v USA Getty Images

Cousins was long safe and part of the USA rotation.

9. Report: Kobe Bryant studying Paul Pierce on how to adapt game as he ages

Aug 28, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Paul Pierce, Kobe Bryant

If you’re trying to age your game gracefully, Pierce is a great model.

10. Derrick Rose dismisses injury concern after blah showing against Slovenia

Aug 28, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT

Derrick Rose, Anderson Varejao, Raulzinho Neto Derrick Rose, Anderson Varejao, Raulzinho Neto

Rose will probably have to prove it while coming off the bench behind Kyrie Irving in World Cup

11. World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold

Aug 28, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Doesn’t matter who didn’t show up, the guys that did make Team USA one of two teams with a legit shot at gold.

12. Report: Leandro Barbosa reaches deal with Warriors

Aug 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

For a third point guard signed for the league minimum, this is a nice pickup. Not thrilling, but nice.

13. Lakers work out seven NBA veteran free agents beyond Michael Beasley

Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Dexter Pittman, Greg Stiemsma, Daniel Orton, Bobby Brown, Toney Douglas, Ben Hansbrough and Malcolm Lee try out

14. Robbie Hummel to release hip-hop album. Wait. What?

Aug 27, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT

Robbie Hummel Robbie Hummel

NBA news you definitely didn’t expect to read today

15. Jerry Colangelo on James Harden leading Team USA: ‘He’s the one’

Aug 27, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

Rockets guard continues to draw praise after offseason of petty comments

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches