Mavericks release Derek Fisher at his request

Dec 22, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

It was believed that veteran point guard Derek Fisher had finally found a home for this season, after being unemployed for the first couple of months while reportedly waiting for the right situation to present itself.

But after spending just a few weeks in Dallas, Fisher has come to the conclusion that family is more important to him at this time.

Fisher asked to be released, and the team has granted his request.

From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:

In a statement he issued Saturday night to confirm the move, Fisher said: “In Tuesday’s game against Philadelphia, I suffered an injury to my patellar tendon. The recovery time will be approximately two weeks. With this news and the difficulty I have been having being away from my family, I have asked the organization to waive me so I can return home.

“(Mavericks owner) Mark Cuban has been extremely supportive and has granted me this request. I cannot say enough good things about this organization. From Mark, to Coach (Rick) Carlisle, to the players on the Mavericks’ team, I sincerely thank them for the opportunity.

“I have made decisions in the past, leaving money and opportunity on the table, and I will need to do that again. My family is my priority and that is where I choose to be. I won’t close the possibility that I will play again, however for now my family and being close to them remains the priority.”

This sounds like the end of the line for Fisher, at least in terms of the rest of this season. Should his family issues be sorted out in time for the playoffs, in wouldn’t be a surprise to see him land with a contender before the postseason begins.

Fisher averaged 8.6 points, and 3.6 assists in nine games with the Mavericks, while playing over 25 minutes per game.

Dallas is expected to call up Chris Douglas-Roberts from the D-League to replace Fisher on the team’s roster.

Latest Posts
  1. NBA’s rookie transition program presents information in a compelling way in order to promote real discussion

Sep 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Initially uncomfortable information is presented in order to create a dialogue on real-life scenarios, which helps prepare rookies for their initial steps into the NBA life.

2. NBA tips-off season-long All-Star charitable outreach program in New York area

Sep 23, 2014, 2:25 AM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

Monday tipped-off a series of NBA Cares and charitable events around the New York area tied to the All-Star Game.

3. Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach

Sep 23, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Wyc Grousbeck also says he wants Boston to keep point guard long term

4. Hornets, in search of big man, sign Dallas Lauderdale and Brian Qvale

Sep 22, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

Texas-San Antonio v Ohio State Getty Images

Charlotte also adds Justin Cobbs, who went undrafted out of Cal

5. Lakers sign Wayne Ellington, who played best for Byron Scott

Sep 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Lakers Minnesota Timberwolves v Los Angeles Lakers

Ellington, who played for Scott with Cavaliers, received partially guaranteed contract

6. Blake Griffin understands that Los Angeles is still a Lakers’ town

Sep 22, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant, Blake Griffin AP

It’s not going to change anytime soon, either.

7. Report: Jazz to work out John Stockton’s son

Sep 22, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT

WCC Basketball Tournament - Championship - Brigham Young v Gonzaga Getty Images

David Stockton, an undrafted free agent out of Gonzaga, also worked out for Thunder

8. Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets

Sep 22, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

The Rockets’ defensive system is not the problem with James Harden.

9. Jazz sign Dahntay Jones

Sep 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Jones previously played for the Grizzlies, Kings, Nuggets, Pacers, Mavericks and Hawks

10. Report: Darko Milicic leaving basketball, taking up kickboxing

Sep 22, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwovles 2010 NBA Europe LIve Minnesota Timberwovles 2010 NBA Europe LIve

Former Pistons No. 2 draft pick putting some distance between himself and basketball

11. Caldwell Jones dies at 64

Sep 22, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

Portland Trailblazers vs. San Antonio Spurs Portland Trailblazers vs. San Antonio Spurs

Jones – who played for the 76ers, Rockets, Bulls (during Michael Jordan’s rookie season), Trail Blazers and Spurs – helped shape Tim Duncan’s career

12. Tyson Chandler: ‘I’m going to make’ Mavericks defend

Sep 22, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Ricky Rubio Tyson Chandler, Ricky Rubio

Chandler: ‘We are going to be a great defensive team’

13. NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that.

Sep 22, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

There were multiple NBA players arrested on domestic abuse charges last year. The spotlight on those cases will be different now.

14. Nuggets sign forward Marcus Williams

Sep 22, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT

Arizona Wildcats v North Carolina Tar Heels Getty Images

This is the Marcus Williams who played at Arizona, not Connecticut

15. Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt

Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT

A Cleveland Cavaliers fan interrupts play during their NBA basketball game against Miami Heat in Cleveland Reuters

James Blair can watch LeBron in person in Cleveland again

16. Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape

Sep 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Blake Griffin GQ

“The first thing I ever Googled about the man, the first thing that popped up was “racist.” So I was aware. I hate to say this, and it might sound ignorant, but I wasn’t surprised that all this came up.”—Blake Griffin on Donald Sterling

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches