Mavericks release Derek Fisher at his request

Dec 22, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

It was believed that veteran point guard Derek Fisher had finally found a home for this season, after being unemployed for the first couple of months while reportedly waiting for the right situation to present itself.

But after spending just a few weeks in Dallas, Fisher has come to the conclusion that family is more important to him at this time.

Fisher asked to be released, and the team has granted his request.

From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:

In a statement he issued Saturday night to confirm the move, Fisher said: “In Tuesday’s game against Philadelphia, I suffered an injury to my patellar tendon. The recovery time will be approximately two weeks. With this news and the difficulty I have been having being away from my family, I have asked the organization to waive me so I can return home.

“(Mavericks owner) Mark Cuban has been extremely supportive and has granted me this request. I cannot say enough good things about this organization. From Mark, to Coach (Rick) Carlisle, to the players on the Mavericks’ team, I sincerely thank them for the opportunity.

“I have made decisions in the past, leaving money and opportunity on the table, and I will need to do that again. My family is my priority and that is where I choose to be. I won’t close the possibility that I will play again, however for now my family and being close to them remains the priority.”

This sounds like the end of the line for Fisher, at least in terms of the rest of this season. Should his family issues be sorted out in time for the playoffs, in wouldn’t be a surprise to see him land with a contender before the postseason begins.

Fisher averaged 8.6 points, and 3.6 assists in nine games with the Mavericks, while playing over 25 minutes per game.

Dallas is expected to call up Chris Douglas-Roberts from the D-League to replace Fisher on the team’s roster.

1. soundsofsuccess7 - Dec 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM

bring fish back to la!!!

• bigtganks - Dec 24, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Probably… he pulled the same stunt with Utah years ago. Jazz fans have heard this “hey team, I need to be let out of my contract for family reasons…” then BAM! He’s signed with LA!!!!!!

• manchestermiracle - Dec 24, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Geez, how many times does the truth need to be told? Fisher’s daughter had eye cancer and the best treatment available was in L.A. Utah fans showed their hatred and misunderstanding by chanting “Fisher sucks” when the Lakers played the Jazz in the 2010 WC semis. Fisher shut their yaps by drilling a three with 30 seconds left.

Criticizing a guy for being the best father he can be and searching out the finest medical treatment for his kid is pretty shallow. Fisher has been a stand-up guy his whole career and is ten times the person you just displayed with that asinine comment.

2. badintent - Dec 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Fish , good luck with your new career coaching or in the broadcast booth. You’ll be great in either. Knick Nation hopes your daughter has made a full recovery from her eye cancer.

3. 13arod - Dec 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM

he is a allstar myabe good enough to make it to the hall of fame if he doesn’t come back he will be missed

4. imthedudedude - Dec 22, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Def one of the best guys in the game. Not a fan out there that wouldn’t want him on their team. Good luck with everything Derek.

• adoombray - Dec 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

atrocious defense, no playmaking ability, signed because of his name. Personally, i’d pass. Being a class act only matters if you can still play basketball. Fish can’t. Glorified 2 guard who at one point had a decent stroke and managed to summon it in clutch situations, but thats it. got famous because he knew how to pass it to Kobe.

5. ndirishfan1 - Dec 22, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Cuban done taking fliers on former Lakers?

6. magicbucs - Dec 22, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I’m sure if Dallas was a contender he would finish the season.

7. abchome - Dec 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Next, Fisher re-sign with the Lakers. I hope not!

• abchome - Dec 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I still remember his cheating Utah to rejoin the Lakers, I really hope that he won’t do that again. He’s better than that.

8. cmdrsmooth - Dec 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM

This guy road the coat tails of many teams. About time.

• manchestermiracle - Dec 24, 2012 at 2:10 AM

He was drafted by the Lakers out of college, won three straight titles 2000-2002 as an integral part of the team, and played his first eight seasons there. He signed as a free agent with the Warriors in ’04 and was traded to the Jazz in ’06.

When he returned to the Lakers he helped them win two more titles. The time he spent with the Thunder and Mavs was obviously on the back side of his career.

He was always a positive locker room presence and solid teammate. Saying he “road (sic) the coat tails of many teams” is ignorant. When you’re the starting PG on a three-peat NBA champion you aren’t riding anyone’s coattails.

9. ranoversquarells - Dec 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I’m sorry, but this is the second time he’s pulled this off. At one point you got to make it clear that you’re only playing in LA or nowhere at all. That’s not acting in good faith if ever seen it …

• funketheanalrapist - Dec 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM

3rd time. Remember when he refused to play for the Rockets and forced a release. With all due respect to his situation with his daughter (I was ok with that decision), forcing his way out of Houston was a childish act. Then to sign with a team in OKC just as far away to play for yet another championship… This guy irks me to the core. People get traded, it’s part of the trade off for fame, financial security, and the ability to play a game for a living. If Derek was all about family, he’d retire. He’s made over 61 million dollars playing basketball (and has multiple championship rings). Enough to support his family and their subsequent families for multiple lifetimes. I’m not saying that he doesn’t care about his family, but it only seems to become of the utmost importance to him when he’s not playing for a contender.

10. kavika6 - Dec 23, 2012 at 3:30 AM

He used a similar excuse to leave the Jazz because of his daughter, even though SLC has probably the best children’s hospital in the country.

• manchestermiracle - Dec 24, 2012 at 2:17 AM

How is a daughter with eye cancer similar to Fisher hurting his knee? Fisher gave up over $8 million to relocate to L.A. in order to be with his daughter during her medical treatment. Salt Lake City might have a good children’s hospital, but that doesn’t mean it specializes in treating retinoblastoma, a degenerative and rare form of eye cancer. The last thing the Lakers need is another aging player on the downside of his career, and with a knee injury to boot.

11. whichiwhichwawa - Dec 23, 2012 at 3:55 AM

A$$clown bailing on teams to get him some rings with lakers….Again!!!

12. trschlicht - Dec 23, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Mavs clearly have a great overall organization

13. fotydaze - Dec 23, 2012 at 4:13 AM

A CLASS ACT PERIOD!!!!!

14. fanofevilempire - Dec 23, 2012 at 8:14 AM

D-Fish is a classy guy, that is what people say about him.
    Nothing but best wishes for him and his family.

I wouldn’t believe any of the fools who posted ridiculous
    comments about someone they never met!

15. omniusprime - Dec 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I wish Derek Fisher the best and hopes he makes a speedy and full recovery. The Lakers should dump Steve Flake and bring back Fisher since he does play defense, something Ancient Nash is incapable of. Fish would be a great “coach” for the young guards to learn from, they are needed for defense and Fish can teach them how it’s done.

Come on Back D Fish, the Lakers Need You!!!

16. cantonbound13 - Dec 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I’m not a Laker fan but I have tremendous respect for Derek. One of the nicest guys in sports & I wish him and his family all the best.

17. discostu1233 - Dec 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Class act, I still remember how I cryed when lakers traded you.. I hope lakers retire your yersey someday

Wizards playing spoiler in East