Dec 22, 2012, 3:42 PM EST
The Sacramento Kings have announced that they’ve suspended DeMarcus Cousins “indefinitely for unprofessional behavior and conduct detrimental to the team.”
The suspension comes less than 24 hours after Cousins got into it with Kings head coach Keith Smart during Friday night’s game, and was benched in the second half as a result.
This is just the latest in a long list of incidents from Cousins that continue to show poor attitude, bad judgment, and an immaturity from which he’s unable to escape.
Cousins has been suspended on two other occasions by the league this season. He got two games for coming out of the locker room to confront Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott, after hearing remarks Elliott made about Cousins during the broadcast.
Cousins received a one-game suspension less than two weeks ago for punching O.J. Mayo below the belt during a game against Dallas, after which Mayo remarked that he believed Cousins “has some mental issues.”
The difference in this most recent situation, of course, is the fact that the team is the one doing the suspending this time.
Sam Amick of USA Today has some additional details on the incident that took place between Cousins and Smart.
Two people with knowledge of the incident told USA TODAY Sports that nothing of a physical nature occurred between Cousins and his coach and that the yelling went back and forth between both men. Cousins, according to one of the people, used extensive profanity while sharing his latest frustrations.
The Kings are a mess organizationally, and with so many players and coaches shuttling in and out in recent seasons, along with the fact that there doesn’t seem to be any firm hand guiding the ship to an actual planned destination, there’s no question that the franchise and the way it’s handled Cousins to this point has to take some of the blame for his issues.
But it can’t be blamed for all of them.
Cousins has to mature at some point if he’s ever going to be a the All-Star player many believed he might evolve into as early as this season. Instead, he’s regressed, and who knows how much longer the toxic mix between Cousins and the Kings will continue, or how much worse things will get before the situation is eventually resolved.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (44)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)