Dec 21, 2012, 9:51 AM EST
There may be no more explosive, athletic player in the NBA than Russell Westbrook. He is exactly the kind of guy we want to see in the All-Star weekend dunk contest, doing superhuman feats of dunking.
And he may be up for it.
Westbrook told the Oklahoman he wants to do it and sooner rather than later. Which maybe would mean Westbrook dunking in Houston in this February’s All-Star game.
“It’s up in the air,” Westbrook said about this year’s dunk competition. “I would (like to) before it’s too late. But I don’t know where I’m going to feel like doing it or not.”
Westbrook is a monster in-game dunker, but he admits that dunk contest dunking is a different thing. Some guys get the idea it’s an exhibition and pull out all the stops — Blake Griffin jumping over a car with a gospel choir singing in the background is a little extreme but you get the idea — and some try to do their game dunks and fall flat. You have got to put in some real work on the dunk contest dunks.
But Westbrook could do it and would have to enter a favorite if he does throw his hat in the ring.
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 0
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 12
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 24
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 5
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 7
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 3