Dec 21, 2012, 9:51 AM EDT
There may be no more explosive, athletic player in the NBA than Russell Westbrook. He is exactly the kind of guy we want to see in the All-Star weekend dunk contest, doing superhuman feats of dunking.
And he may be up for it.
Westbrook told the Oklahoman he wants to do it and sooner rather than later. Which maybe would mean Westbrook dunking in Houston in this February’s All-Star game.
“It’s up in the air,” Westbrook said about this year’s dunk competition. “I would (like to) before it’s too late. But I don’t know where I’m going to feel like doing it or not.”
Westbrook is a monster in-game dunker, but he admits that dunk contest dunking is a different thing. Some guys get the idea it’s an exhibition and pull out all the stops — Blake Griffin jumping over a car with a gospel choir singing in the background is a little extreme but you get the idea — and some try to do their game dunks and fall flat. You have got to put in some real work on the dunk contest dunks.
But Westbrook could do it and would have to enter a favorite if he does throw his hat in the ring.
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 0
- Harden’s 17 fourth quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 2
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 47
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 25
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20