Dec 21, 2012, 9:51 AM EST
There may be no more explosive, athletic player in the NBA than Russell Westbrook. He is exactly the kind of guy we want to see in the All-Star weekend dunk contest, doing superhuman feats of dunking.
And he may be up for it.
Westbrook told the Oklahoman he wants to do it and sooner rather than later. Which maybe would mean Westbrook dunking in Houston in this February’s All-Star game.
“It’s up in the air,” Westbrook said about this year’s dunk competition. “I would (like to) before it’s too late. But I don’t know where I’m going to feel like doing it or not.”
Westbrook is a monster in-game dunker, but he admits that dunk contest dunking is a different thing. Some guys get the idea it’s an exhibition and pull out all the stops — Blake Griffin jumping over a car with a gospel choir singing in the background is a little extreme but you get the idea — and some try to do their game dunks and fall flat. You have got to put in some real work on the dunk contest dunks.
But Westbrook could do it and would have to enter a favorite if he does throw his hat in the ring.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 3
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 19
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11