Dec 21, 2012, 9:51 AM EST
There may be no more explosive, athletic player in the NBA than Russell Westbrook. He is exactly the kind of guy we want to see in the All-Star weekend dunk contest, doing superhuman feats of dunking.
And he may be up for it.
Westbrook told the Oklahoman he wants to do it and sooner rather than later. Which maybe would mean Westbrook dunking in Houston in this February’s All-Star game.
“It’s up in the air,” Westbrook said about this year’s dunk competition. “I would (like to) before it’s too late. But I don’t know where I’m going to feel like doing it or not.”
Westbrook is a monster in-game dunker, but he admits that dunk contest dunking is a different thing. Some guys get the idea it’s an exhibition and pull out all the stops — Blake Griffin jumping over a car with a gospel choir singing in the background is a little extreme but you get the idea — and some try to do their game dunks and fall flat. You have got to put in some real work on the dunk contest dunks.
But Westbrook could do it and would have to enter a favorite if he does throw his hat in the ring.
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 6
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46