Dec 21, 2012, 9:51 AM EDT
There may be no more explosive, athletic player in the NBA than Russell Westbrook. He is exactly the kind of guy we want to see in the All-Star weekend dunk contest, doing superhuman feats of dunking.
And he may be up for it.
Westbrook told the Oklahoman he wants to do it and sooner rather than later. Which maybe would mean Westbrook dunking in Houston in this February’s All-Star game.
“It’s up in the air,” Westbrook said about this year’s dunk competition. “I would (like to) before it’s too late. But I don’t know where I’m going to feel like doing it or not.”
Westbrook is a monster in-game dunker, but he admits that dunk contest dunking is a different thing. Some guys get the idea it’s an exhibition and pull out all the stops — Blake Griffin jumping over a car with a gospel choir singing in the background is a little extreme but you get the idea — and some try to do their game dunks and fall flat. You have got to put in some real work on the dunk contest dunks.
But Westbrook could do it and would have to enter a favorite if he does throw his hat in the ring.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18