Dec 21, 2012, 2:45 PM EST
Let’s be kind here, because he can pull it off like you and I can’t — Russell Westbrook makes some daring clothing choices.
So if you are going to give someone in the NBA a spread in GQ, Westbrook is a good call. He’s not going to just play it safe.
The brilliant Lang Whitaker talked about Westbrook’s fashion decisions in the accompanying piece:
If you’re trying to pinpoint the moment when Russell Westbrook graduated from rising NBA star to hipster-sports-fan icon, the answer is May 14, 2012. That evening, the Oklahoma City point guard lit the fuse on the Thunder’s near playoff sweep of the Lakers with twenty-seven points. But it wasn’t anything he did during the game. It was what happened after the game, when Westbrook arrived at the press conference wearing lensless red-framed glasses and a Lacoste polo shirt festooned with candy-colored fishhooks. Instantly his kooky couture was a worldwide trending topic.
“I wasn’t trying to make a fashion statement,” says Westbrook, 24. “I just thought it was a nice shirt.”
I want to see what Westbrook would wear to the press conference after he wins the Dunk Contest in Houston at All-Star Weekend.
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 0
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 21
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 4
- Thursday night NBA grades: Gerald Green just couldn’t seem to miss 6
- After rough shooting night LeBron says he’s “not a big fan” of sleeved jerseys 39