Dec 21, 2012, 2:45 PM EDT
Let’s be kind here, because he can pull it off like you and I can’t — Russell Westbrook makes some daring clothing choices.
So if you are going to give someone in the NBA a spread in GQ, Westbrook is a good call. He’s not going to just play it safe.
The brilliant Lang Whitaker talked about Westbrook’s fashion decisions in the accompanying piece:
If you’re trying to pinpoint the moment when Russell Westbrook graduated from rising NBA star to hipster-sports-fan icon, the answer is May 14, 2012. That evening, the Oklahoma City point guard lit the fuse on the Thunder’s near playoff sweep of the Lakers with twenty-seven points. But it wasn’t anything he did during the game. It was what happened after the game, when Westbrook arrived at the press conference wearing lensless red-framed glasses and a Lacoste polo shirt festooned with candy-colored fishhooks. Instantly his kooky couture was a worldwide trending topic.
“I wasn’t trying to make a fashion statement,” says Westbrook, 24. “I just thought it was a nice shirt.”
I want to see what Westbrook would wear to the press conference after he wins the Dunk Contest in Houston at All-Star Weekend.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 2
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 27
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 3
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19