Dec 21, 2012, 2:45 PM EDT
Let’s be kind here, because he can pull it off like you and I can’t — Russell Westbrook makes some daring clothing choices.
So if you are going to give someone in the NBA a spread in GQ, Westbrook is a good call. He’s not going to just play it safe.
The brilliant Lang Whitaker talked about Westbrook’s fashion decisions in the accompanying piece:
If you’re trying to pinpoint the moment when Russell Westbrook graduated from rising NBA star to hipster-sports-fan icon, the answer is May 14, 2012. That evening, the Oklahoma City point guard lit the fuse on the Thunder’s near playoff sweep of the Lakers with twenty-seven points. But it wasn’t anything he did during the game. It was what happened after the game, when Westbrook arrived at the press conference wearing lensless red-framed glasses and a Lacoste polo shirt festooned with candy-colored fishhooks. Instantly his kooky couture was a worldwide trending topic.
“I wasn’t trying to make a fashion statement,” says Westbrook, 24. “I just thought it was a nice shirt.”
I want to see what Westbrook would wear to the press conference after he wins the Dunk Contest in Houston at All-Star Weekend.
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 5
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 30
- Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing 9
- Clippers put on offensive showcase, take Game 1 vs. Spurs 10
- Grizzlies overpower Blazers for commanding series-opening win 7