Dec 21, 2012, 2:45 PM EDT
Let’s be kind here, because he can pull it off like you and I can’t — Russell Westbrook makes some daring clothing choices.
So if you are going to give someone in the NBA a spread in GQ, Westbrook is a good call. He’s not going to just play it safe.
The brilliant Lang Whitaker talked about Westbrook’s fashion decisions in the accompanying piece:
If you’re trying to pinpoint the moment when Russell Westbrook graduated from rising NBA star to hipster-sports-fan icon, the answer is May 14, 2012. That evening, the Oklahoma City point guard lit the fuse on the Thunder’s near playoff sweep of the Lakers with twenty-seven points. But it wasn’t anything he did during the game. It was what happened after the game, when Westbrook arrived at the press conference wearing lensless red-framed glasses and a Lacoste polo shirt festooned with candy-colored fishhooks. Instantly his kooky couture was a worldwide trending topic.
“I wasn’t trying to make a fashion statement,” says Westbrook, 24. “I just thought it was a nice shirt.”
I want to see what Westbrook would wear to the press conference after he wins the Dunk Contest in Houston at All-Star Weekend.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38