Dec 21, 2012, 6:14 PM EST
It’s another non-news update for Andrew Bynum. You think we all would be used to that by now, but Bynum himself had said a new MRI and meeting with a specialist afterwards on Thursday would give some direction to what was next.
That update is Bynum can start to increase his activity level, however there is no timetable for his return, Sixers GM Tony DiLeo told the CSNPhilly.com (and other media) on Friday before the Sixers hosted the Hawks.
“His knees are healing. He is improving,” DiLeo said. “He has been approved to increase his activity level. Still there is no timetable. A lot depends on how Andrew reacts and his body reacts to the increased activity.”
DiLeo called it good news but admitted it is possible that Bynum doesn’t play a game this season for Philly.
Merry Christmas, Sixers fans.
What the latest MRI means rather than just swimming for conditioning he can start to ride a bike and do the elliptical machine. DiLeo called Friday’s news the first step of a six-step process to him playing again. Bynum might progress well through the steps but he is not close to getting back on the court right now.
Philly traded Andre Iguodala to get Bynum last summer as part of the Dwight Howard trade. It was a big-time move, going for what they thought could be a franchise-changing center to be a power big man in conference where a lot of teams (Miami, Boston) were going small.
But after a healthy season last year, Bynum’s knees are back to being trouble. And if there are any more setbacks, Bynum — who is a free agent next summer — looks like he could be franchise changing but not in the way the 76ers pictured.
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 0
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 16
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 41
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 7
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4