Dec 21, 2012, 6:14 PM EDT
It’s another non-news update for Andrew Bynum. You think we all would be used to that by now, but Bynum himself had said a new MRI and meeting with a specialist afterwards on Thursday would give some direction to what was next.
That update is Bynum can start to increase his activity level, however there is no timetable for his return, Sixers GM Tony DiLeo told the CSNPhilly.com (and other media) on Friday before the Sixers hosted the Hawks.
“His knees are healing. He is improving,” DiLeo said. “He has been approved to increase his activity level. Still there is no timetable. A lot depends on how Andrew reacts and his body reacts to the increased activity.”
DiLeo called it good news but admitted it is possible that Bynum doesn’t play a game this season for Philly.
Merry Christmas, Sixers fans.
What the latest MRI means rather than just swimming for conditioning he can start to ride a bike and do the elliptical machine. DiLeo called Friday’s news the first step of a six-step process to him playing again. Bynum might progress well through the steps but he is not close to getting back on the court right now.
Philly traded Andre Iguodala to get Bynum last summer as part of the Dwight Howard trade. It was a big-time move, going for what they thought could be a franchise-changing center to be a power big man in conference where a lot of teams (Miami, Boston) were going small.
But after a healthy season last year, Bynum’s knees are back to being trouble. And if there are any more setbacks, Bynum — who is a free agent next summer — looks like he could be franchise changing but not in the way the 76ers pictured.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 28
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25