Nash practiced, said Christmas return seems “realistic”

Dec 21, 2012, 7:59 AM EDT

Lakers Steve Nash smiles as he plays in the Lakers season opening game against  Dallas Reuters

It could happen Saturday. Steve Nash practiced with the Lakers Thursday full out, and is expected to practice again on Friday.

Then Saturday afternoon he says he’ll decide if he is ready to play against Golden State that night on the road.

But he’s thinking Christmas Day against the Knicks. He’s taking it slow. Here is what Nash said, via Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLA.com.

“There’s no plan. I just want to get through today, see how I feel in the morning,” Nash said. “If I’m able to practice (Friday), see how I feel Saturday, we’ll just see how it goes. But I think Christmas is probably the most realistic….

“I think the tendency is to rush back, but you definitely have to be careful,” he said. “I don’t want to rush back for two games and then be out for another extended period of time.”

Both Kobe Bryant and Mike D’Antoni said they thought Nash looked good. Of course, what are they going to say? He’s going to be rusty and one of the best conditioned athletes in the NBA is going to take a while to get back to being himself.

But starting Christmas we might finally get to see what the Lakers can look like with their entire team in place. Of course, they are facing a Knicks team that is playing as well as anyone in the league right now, so maybe this will not be the best time to judge them.

1. christopheralan79 - Dec 21, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Looking forward to seeing Nash play again. I am not a Lakers fan, and I can not wait until he gets out there and they still stink. A case of-
    !. Kobe has and will never defer to anyone.
    2. The “system” isn’t designed for the big men to get touches (They saw this issue with Brown at the beginning of the year) Easier to replace a coach than players you’ve dumped millions into.
    3. There is no coach other than Phil that Kobe is going to allow “coach” him especially at this phase of his career. He’s got two goals he’s chasing, Michael’s scoring and his rings. He’s going to try for one, if not both. Regardless the cancer he is to the team in doing so.

2. abchome - Dec 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Good. Can’t wait to see how Nash would solve the problems and save the season.

3. spthegr8 - Dec 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I am NOT one of those ppl that believe, as soon as Nash comes back everything is gonna magically be fixed. But he IS gonna make us better. For as much as he is gonna hurt us on D, he is gonna help us on D. Now before everybody reads this and think I’m outta my F’N mind, lemme explain. He dosen’t stand a chance guarding TP, RW, CP3 etc. But when he comes back our offense is gonna be ALOT better, which will help our D. When we score more points, teams can’t get out on us in transition like they have been. He will also cut down on the turnover’s, which leads too transition. Teams can’t get out and run on you unless they are getting stops. Hard too run, when you gotta keep takin the ball outta bounds!!!! When we can set up our halfcourt D, it won’t be great but it will be better. D Howard alone will ensure that, even if he isn’t 100%. Either way we need too get him back and get everybody HEALTHY, so we can truly evaluate this team and try too form some kind of identity!!!!!!!!

4. phreakin - Dec 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

My prediction? Nash comes back, lakers beat the Knicks, and everyone jumps back on the train. Bottom line is this. If he comes back and if they beat the Knicks it’s one game. Win or lose you can’t base the Lakers future on the first game back. Journalists and fans will do exactly that, but its ignorant.

• eventhorizon04 - Dec 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I disagree on your prediction that the Lakers beat the Knicks. The Knicks have been gelling under Woodson, I think it’s unlikely the Lakers have the chemistry it would require to beat a top-8 team like the Knicks, Heat, Spurs, OKC, etc. at this point.

I do agree that everybody will be over-reading the outcome of that one game.

• phreakin - Dec 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM

As I was saying….

5. fanofevilempire - Dec 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I will take Nash over a third string Point guard any day,,,,,,,
    It will take a few games for the full lineup to be ballin………..
    I believe the Lakers are at best if all goes well a fourth or fifth place team in the west.
    They could pull off an upset or they could get knocked off in the first round, who knows
    for sure.
    The fact that they will have all their bullets make it all a possibility.
    They have about five months to figure it out and spring will be in the air.

6. aboogy123456 - Dec 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Lakers are winning it all this year.

7. hoodheisman - Dec 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM

The sooner Nash comes back, the sooner everybody will agree that the real problem is D’Antoni and short Buss.

8. BigBeachBall - Dec 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM