Eric Gordon regrets comments he made in restricted free agency

Dec 21, 2012, 8:58 PM EST

Eric Gordon AP

Eric Gordon‘s rehabilitation from injury is progressing to the point that he’s expected to rejoin the Hornets very soon. The relationship between Gordon and the hometown fans has been tenuous at best,  thanks to some comments he made last summer while immersed in the restricted free agency process.

“I strongly feel they are the right franchise for me. Phoenix is just where my heart is now,” Gordon said, after the Suns signed him to a maximum four-year, $55 million offer sheet that New Orleans ultimately decided to match.

Gordon has yet to step on the court for the Hornets since making those remarks, but explained the reasoning behind them in an interview with Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports.

Gordon told Yahoo! Sports he regretted those words, but there was a reason he was so cavalier.

“Of course I did [regret it],” Gordon said. “But that was the only way to push the table on the Hornets. To get a deal done I was willing to negotiate. My agent and I were going through negotiations with them. But they weren’t leaning into really giving me one. So I had to ride with Phoenix and from Day 1 they weren’t playing games.”

Gordon was intent on getting a maximum deal and signing it prior to trying out for the Olympic team in mid-July. He felt the Hornets were taking advantage of his restricted free-agent status by taking their time. Without the maximum offer he sought from the Hornets, Gordon instead signed with Suns on July 10. The Hornets eventually matched the deal.

The business side of professional basketball can be tough for fans to swallow, especially when one of their team’s best players so openly declares his desire to play for someone else.

Only time will tell if New Orleans will get a performance out of Gordon that will match the dollars and years the franchise committed to him. But at least from the player’s perspective, he seems aware of his past mistakes, and is more than willing to move on and prove his worth to the Hornets organization.

Latest Posts
  1. Kobe Bryant on if he returns next season: “Yeah, that’s the plan”

Jan 30, 2015, 9:34 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Did anyone think he would get injured and say, “nah, I don’t want to fight through this” and walk away?

2. Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn

Jan 30, 2015, 8:37 AM EST

Orlando Magic v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Already facing scrutiny, Vaughn oversaw 15-point loss to Bucks last night

3. One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol

Jan 30, 2015, 2:48 AM EST

BKN-NBA-BULLS-LAKERS Getty Images

“I really appreciate him coming, I didn’t expect it at all.” —Pau Gasol

4. Report: Magic haven’t ruled out firing Jacque Vaughn in-season

Jan 29, 2015, 10:45 PM EST

Jacque Vaughn Jacque Vaughn

Management is displeased with their underperformance.

5. Lakers pass out “Thanks Pau” shirts, have video tribute for return of Gasol

Jan 29, 2015, 10:02 PM EST

Pau shirt front

“Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone.”

6. Report: NBA passes rule raising the bar for team ownership

Jan 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

2015 Throne Boxing 2015 Throne Boxing

The new rule is an attempt to curtail Jay Z-style figurehead owners.

7. The three biggest All-Star snubs in each conference

Jan 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EST

DeMarcus Cousins DeMarcus Cousins

Damian Lillard, Kyle Korver, DeMarcus Cousins and more.

8. James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves

Jan 29, 2015, 7:27 PM EST

Houston Rockets v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

DeMarcus Cousins and Damian Lillard were left off in the West.

9. Timberwolves troll Kevin Love in advance of his Saturday return with Cavaliers (VIDEO)

Jan 29, 2015, 6:42 PM EST

Kevin Love Kevin Love

A promotional video hyping the matchup features plenty of players, but Kevin Love is noticeably absent.

10. Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson

Jan 29, 2015, 4:39 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Los Angeles Clippers - Game Six Getty Images

Brooks may last the season, but may not if Thunder miss the playoffs. Jackson, meanwhile, has been marginalized ever since Dion Waiters was acquired.

11. Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks

Jan 29, 2015, 3:56 PM EST

Dwyane Wade AP

Wade may be selected as an All-Star reserve Thursday night, but wouldn’t play in the midseason exhibition if the timeline holds true.

12. Paul George, family discuss night of leg injury, recovery (VIDEO)

Jan 29, 2015, 3:25 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

“I looked down to see my legs, and I saw my bone. The second I saw my bone, I just lost it.”

Who should be All-Star Game reserves?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches