Dec 21, 2012, 4:17 PM EST
We told you earlier this week that Celtics decision maker Danny Ainge is preaching patience — he is not looking at a roster shakeup. Yet.
But don’t confuse that with being happy.
Like every Celtics fan right now, he is frustrated with the inconsistent play from a veteran team (no matter what Doc Rivers wants to call them). Jason Terry isn’t as central to the bench offense as expected, Jeff Green is Jeff Green, and when Kevin Garnett sits things fall apart fast.
“We’ve got to prevent those runs by other teams and those droughts that we have at the offensive end and giving up so many lay-ins on the defensive end,” Ainge said. “There’s just no excuse for the way we’re playing. Yeah, you need to take time to find out who we are, but there’s no excuse for giving up 32 points in the paint in a half against Chicago, and there’s no excuse for giving up a 17-0 run to Cleveland.”
As the story notes, the Celtics started last season 15-17 but then went 24-10 the rest of the way and were up 3-2 on the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference finals. It’s not impossible that switch gets flipped again.
But the problems seem more entrenched this season — the defense is inconsistent and that should be worrying Ainge. The offense sputters at times as well, but that happened before and the defense bailed it out. Not this year. On top of it all the Heat are still the Heat and the Knicks have vaulted up to contender status.
We’ll see how much longer Ainge stays patient.
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 5
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 9
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 54
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14
- Report: Danny Ainge telling other teams he won’t trade Rajon Rondo 13