Dec 20, 2012, 4:28 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Steve Nash went through a five-on-five, full contact practice with the Lakers Thursday. Baring any major setback, expect him to play Saturday night for the Lakers when they face a hot Golden State squad.
• Why have the Thunder won 12 in a row and the Clippers 11? Great offense and soft schedules.
• Dave D’Alessandro of the Newark Star-Ledger just ripped Deron Williams of the Nets in a column Thursday. The best line: “This has less to do with how you play — which is bad enough, you readily admit nowadays — than how you act, which is just one evening gown shy of a diva.”
• A fantastic look from Zach Lowe at the odd big man pairings in the NBA.
• Mark Cuban basically live tweeted passing a kidney stone. Sounds like it hurts. A lot.
• John Hollinger talks about the jump from ESPN to the Memphis Grizzlies front office.
• A Los Angeles jury returned a $17.3 million verdict against Clippers owner Donald Sterling for a fire in an apartment building he owns (buying and holding apartment complexes around LA is his primary business). Other tenants in the building settled before trial. This didn’t apparently bother Sterling, who was in the Clippers locker room Wednesday night after their 11th consecutive win leading “hip-hip hooray chants.”
• An article in Forbes about why Louisville should be first in line for the next NBA franchise that wants to move. The entire city of Seattle is shooting you a glare, Louisville.
• The NBA is tweaking the All-Star Saturday format a little so that the conferences are competing against each other with the winner getting money for charity. None of the events change — slam dunk contest, three-point contest, skills challenge and that Shooting Stars thing — this is just an element thrown in for… I don’t know why. Probably to maybe make someone interested in the skills and Shooting Stars things, but I can’t see that working.
• Amazing interview at The Classical with the guys behind one of the great blogs of all time “Fire Joe Morgan.”
Mar 4, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Suns in another unnecessary disagreement with a former player.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:20 AM EST
Knicks starting five combined for just 24 points, and New York trailed by as many as 44 before this one was finished.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:40 AM EST
Jazz are 5-1 in their last six games since Gobert was inserted into the starting lineup.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
James passed Ray Allen to achieve his latest milestone.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:55 AM EST
Denver wins for its new coach.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:55 AM EST
Hawks fans booed Smith every time he touched the ball.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:15 AM EST
Tony Snell is not THAT good at getting open
Mar 3, 2015, 11:33 PM EST
Smith can’t stop shooting 3s, though, and you know how that ends
Mar 3, 2015, 10:50 PM EST
It was only a matter of time
Mar 3, 2015, 10:08 PM EST
Will he stay with Mavericks?
Mar 3, 2015, 9:08 PM EST
Denver should reciprocate
Mar 3, 2015, 8:08 PM EST
Boston reportedly also plans to try for Marc Gasol, Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler
Mar 3, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
They say this was a one-time incident.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:34 PM EST
Yesterday’s Heat-Suns game got physical
Mar 3, 2015, 5:50 PM EST
The list for him is much longer than just two teams. Much longer.
Mar 3, 2015, 5:08 PM EST
What kind of team are they trying to build.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:04 PM EST
The Kings retired his No. 21 jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 2:55 PM EST
Irving has missed two straight games with a shoulder strain.
Mar 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EST
Shaw was an assistant coach in Indiana before landing the head coaching spot in Denver.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:25 PM EST
Good news for OKC.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 2
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11