Dec 20, 2012, 4:28 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Steve Nash went through a five-on-five, full contact practice with the Lakers Thursday. Baring any major setback, expect him to play Saturday night for the Lakers when they face a hot Golden State squad.
• Why have the Thunder won 12 in a row and the Clippers 11? Great offense and soft schedules.
• Dave D’Alessandro of the Newark Star-Ledger just ripped Deron Williams of the Nets in a column Thursday. The best line: “This has less to do with how you play — which is bad enough, you readily admit nowadays — than how you act, which is just one evening gown shy of a diva.”
• A fantastic look from Zach Lowe at the odd big man pairings in the NBA.
• Mark Cuban basically live tweeted passing a kidney stone. Sounds like it hurts. A lot.
• John Hollinger talks about the jump from ESPN to the Memphis Grizzlies front office.
• A Los Angeles jury returned a $17.3 million verdict against Clippers owner Donald Sterling for a fire in an apartment building he owns (buying and holding apartment complexes around LA is his primary business). Other tenants in the building settled before trial. This didn’t apparently bother Sterling, who was in the Clippers locker room Wednesday night after their 11th consecutive win leading “hip-hip hooray chants.”
• An article in Forbes about why Louisville should be first in line for the next NBA franchise that wants to move. The entire city of Seattle is shooting you a glare, Louisville.
• The NBA is tweaking the All-Star Saturday format a little so that the conferences are competing against each other with the winner getting money for charity. None of the events change — slam dunk contest, three-point contest, skills challenge and that Shooting Stars thing — this is just an element thrown in for… I don’t know why. Probably to maybe make someone interested in the skills and Shooting Stars things, but I can’t see that working.
• Amazing interview at The Classical with the guys behind one of the great blogs of all time “Fire Joe Morgan.”
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 15
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 4
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 36
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 62
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 58
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 18
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 16
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40