Dec 20, 2012, 9:01 AM EDT
But Big Baby is almost instantly on the floor grabbing his shoulder in a lot of pain. Those kind of plays can lead to torn muscles and more serious injuries.
The MRI will come back Thursday but it seems the Magic are bracing for him to be out a while, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
Davis is averaging 16 points and 7.9 rebounds a game, having his best season as a pro since being given more responsibility after Dwight Howard left. His game has grown in his sixth season. As the Sentinel notes, there isn’t much in the way of depth behind Davis.
Coach Jacque Vaughn’s best option is Andrew Nicholson, 6-9, 250 pounds. Starting him would put two rookies in the lineup (along with small forward Maurice Harkless)….
Vaughn’s other option is veteran Josh McRoberts, who is more athletic but not a post player.
Orlando is off to a surprising 12-13 start this season and Davis was a big part of that. If he is going to be out a while it would be a huge blow.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 18
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9