Dec 20, 2012, 9:01 AM EST
But Big Baby is almost instantly on the floor grabbing his shoulder in a lot of pain. Those kind of plays can lead to torn muscles and more serious injuries.
The MRI will come back Thursday but it seems the Magic are bracing for him to be out a while, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
Davis is averaging 16 points and 7.9 rebounds a game, having his best season as a pro since being given more responsibility after Dwight Howard left. His game has grown in his sixth season. As the Sentinel notes, there isn’t much in the way of depth behind Davis.
Coach Jacque Vaughn’s best option is Andrew Nicholson, 6-9, 250 pounds. Starting him would put two rookies in the lineup (along with small forward Maurice Harkless)….
Vaughn’s other option is veteran Josh McRoberts, who is more athletic but not a post player.
Orlando is off to a surprising 12-13 start this season and Davis was a big part of that. If he is going to be out a while it would be a huge blow.
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 6
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 1
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 15
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 1
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (51)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)