Dec 20, 2012, 9:01 AM EDT
But Big Baby is almost instantly on the floor grabbing his shoulder in a lot of pain. Those kind of plays can lead to torn muscles and more serious injuries.
The MRI will come back Thursday but it seems the Magic are bracing for him to be out a while, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
Davis is averaging 16 points and 7.9 rebounds a game, having his best season as a pro since being given more responsibility after Dwight Howard left. His game has grown in his sixth season. As the Sentinel notes, there isn’t much in the way of depth behind Davis.
Coach Jacque Vaughn’s best option is Andrew Nicholson, 6-9, 250 pounds. Starting him would put two rookies in the lineup (along with small forward Maurice Harkless)….
Vaughn’s other option is veteran Josh McRoberts, who is more athletic but not a post player.
Orlando is off to a surprising 12-13 start this season and Davis was a big part of that. If he is going to be out a while it would be a huge blow.
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 0
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 26
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 26
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23