Dec 20, 2012, 9:01 AM EDT
But Big Baby is almost instantly on the floor grabbing his shoulder in a lot of pain. Those kind of plays can lead to torn muscles and more serious injuries.
The MRI will come back Thursday but it seems the Magic are bracing for him to be out a while, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
Davis is averaging 16 points and 7.9 rebounds a game, having his best season as a pro since being given more responsibility after Dwight Howard left. His game has grown in his sixth season. As the Sentinel notes, there isn’t much in the way of depth behind Davis.
Coach Jacque Vaughn’s best option is Andrew Nicholson, 6-9, 250 pounds. Starting him would put two rookies in the lineup (along with small forward Maurice Harkless)….
Vaughn’s other option is veteran Josh McRoberts, who is more athletic but not a post player.
Orlando is off to a surprising 12-13 start this season and Davis was a big part of that. If he is going to be out a while it would be a huge blow.
- LeBron’s 30-point performance leads Cavaliers to hard-fought Game 2 win over Celtics 0
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul 1
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 9
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14