Dec 20, 2012, 9:01 AM EST
But Big Baby is almost instantly on the floor grabbing his shoulder in a lot of pain. Those kind of plays can lead to torn muscles and more serious injuries.
The MRI will come back Thursday but it seems the Magic are bracing for him to be out a while, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
Davis is averaging 16 points and 7.9 rebounds a game, having his best season as a pro since being given more responsibility after Dwight Howard left. His game has grown in his sixth season. As the Sentinel notes, there isn’t much in the way of depth behind Davis.
Coach Jacque Vaughn’s best option is Andrew Nicholson, 6-9, 250 pounds. Starting him would put two rookies in the lineup (along with small forward Maurice Harkless)….
Vaughn’s other option is veteran Josh McRoberts, who is more athletic but not a post player.
Orlando is off to a surprising 12-13 start this season and Davis was a big part of that. If he is going to be out a while it would be a huge blow.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 4
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 7
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 13
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8