Dec 20, 2012, 12:41 PM EDT
But that’s not the right question, if you ask Gasol.
Sam Amick of USA Today did and Gasol’s response questioned how they both fit in Mike D’Antoni’s system.
“I don’t find (playing with Howard) tough,” Gasol said as he stood at the loading dock. “It’s more the system right now that makes it tough at times, because (D’Antoni) wants four guys to be spread and one interior guy and it’s a guard-oriented system, so that makes it tough.
“I think there’s enough looks for both of us. But again, it’s not a system that you post up a lot, so we’ll see. We’ve just got to figure it out, but if you’ve got two great post-up players, you’ve got to utilize it.”
Really, three post up players because Kobe Bryant should get touches there, too. Just to be clear.
D’Antoni is clearly moving to play Howard and Gasol together as little as possible. It was evident in Gasol’s one game back, although D’Antoni tried to play it off as a conditioning thing after Gasol’s layoff.
But in the second half he played a lot of small lineup ball — Darius Morris/Chris Duhon at the point (as placeholders for Steve Nash), Jodie Meeks at the two, Kobe at the three, Metta World Peace at the four, then Gasol and Howard rotating at the five spot.
And it worked. The Lakers were -22 in their one-point win over the Bobcats when Howard and Gasol were on the court together and were +18 with Gasol at center with Morris, Meeks, Kobe, World Peace and Gasol.
The question becomes that if D’Antoni continues down this road of splitting time between Gasol and Howard, do you see what the market will offer for Gasol? But we are a month away from the Lakers seriously debating that question, they are just about to get Steve Nash back and see how that impacts the mix.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 2
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24