Dec 19, 2012, 2:51 PM EDT
The Mavericks could be about to get the only thing they really wanted for Christmas this year — Dirk Nowitzki back.
The German scoring machine practiced with the team Wednesday for the first time since his knee surgery to clean out debris during the preseason, reports ESPNDallas.com.
Mavericks star forward Dirk Nowitzki participated in a full practice Wednesday for the first time since undergoing preseason arthroscopic knee surgery.
The Mavs have not set a timetable for Nowitzki to play in games, but he is listed as out for Thursday night’s meeting with the Heat.
Nowitzki had kept pushing back his timeline, at one point saying mid-December then saying that was not the case. But it may not be much later than that if he is practicing now.
Amazingly, the Mavericks offense — fueled by O.J. Mayo and some very hot three point shooting from him — is almost a point per 100 possessions better this season than last. That despite Nowitzki being out, Jason Terry going to Boston and other lineup changes.
The offense has been good enough to keep Dallas around .500 (12-13) and if they get Nowitzki back it should improve. And suddenly Dallas starts to look like a playoff team, or at least one fighting for a spot in a deep Western Conference. It’s going to be rough in the bottom of the West this season with the Jazz, Nuggets, Lakers, Timberwolves and Rockets all clawing for three spots.
Dallas needs Nowitzki back for that. And the sooner the better.
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 0
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 9
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 44
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 17
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 44
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (75)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record