Dec 19, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
Because an NBA game is not enough of a workout…
LeBron James — reigning NBA MVP, best player walking the face of the earth, Miami Heat franchise anchor — rides his bicycle to most home games. And practices. And shootarounds.
He had done this a little in the past but it has become the norm this season, reports Ira Winderman at the Sun-Sentinel. And if you think it wears him out, know that he rode in on Tuesday night and played 42 minutes putting up 22 points, 11 rebounds, seven assists and not one turnover.
“I felt great,” James said. “I didn’t get tired. I don’t think I got tired (Tuesday) night. I felt great. I could have played again if we had to. Yeah, I’ve been biking a little more than usual. It’s fun. It’s also conditioning, it’s cardio.”
James introduced his passion for riding when he was spotted on his bike on the way to the Heat’s game against the Chicago Bulls last January. Fatigue had little effect, with James scoring 35 points in a 97-93 victory.
He has since added it into his conditioning program. The result has him averaging 37.6 minutes, topping 40 nine times this season.
James also said he got lights on his bike, for safety. Frankly, for safety Pat Riley would pay for a car to bring him to games. Heck, Pat Riley would drive the car to bring him to games safely. But James just wants to feel the wind in his face and let his fleet of expensive cars rest.
James bike looks to be a kind of hybrid — not a mountain bike, not a street racer, just something you’d own to get around on (TBJ has a photo).
Personally, I think he’d look good on an old beach cruiser with wide handlebars. But that’s just me.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5