LeBron James bikes to most of Heat home games

Dec 19, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Miami Heat Getty Images

Because an NBA game is not enough of a workout…

LeBron James — reigning NBA MVP, best player walking the face of the earth, Miami Heat franchise anchor — rides his bicycle to most home games. And practices. And shootarounds.

He had done this a little in the past but it has become the norm this season, reports Ira Winderman at the Sun-Sentinel. And if you think it wears him out, know that he rode in on Tuesday night and played 42 minutes putting up 22 points, 11 rebounds, seven assists and not one turnover.

“I felt great,” James said. “I didn’t get tired. I don’t think I got tired (Tuesday) night. I felt great. I could have played again if we had to. Yeah, I’ve been biking a little more than usual. It’s fun. It’s also conditioning, it’s cardio.”

James introduced his passion for riding when he was spotted on his bike on the way to the Heat’s game against the Chicago Bulls last January. Fatigue had little effect, with James scoring 35 points in a 97-93 victory.

He has since added it into his conditioning program. The result has him averaging 37.6 minutes, topping 40 nine times this season.

James also said he got lights on his bike, for safety. Frankly, for safety Pat Riley would pay for a car to bring him to games. Heck, Pat Riley would drive the car to bring him to games safely. But James just wants to feel the wind in his face and let his fleet of expensive cars rest.

James bike looks to be a kind of hybrid — not a mountain bike, not a street racer, just something you’d own to get around on (TBJ has a photo).

Personally, I think he’d look good on an old beach cruiser with wide handlebars. But that’s just me.

1. Mr. Wright 212 - Dec 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Goodness Kurt, you sounded like a 13 year old girl talking about Bieber with all this middle school crush kind of talk.

• gmsingh - Dec 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I’m glad Kurt pointed this out. Now I know that LeBron wastes his time biking to games when he could be involved in giving back to the community, donating to charity, etc. Still, I promise I won’t laugh if he gets injured in a biking mishap and has to miss games as a result.

• tientzu1 - Dec 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Actually is does a Bike A Thon every year in Akron where he gives out bikes to lower income youth. A friend of my family’s son was a recipient of a bike from Lebron and got to ride around the city with him. If you knew about him, you would know why he likes to bike so much as it dates back to his childhood when he didn’t have a bike….

• heat256 - Dec 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM

You mad there are no articles on pudgy Melo doing the same?

2. nokoolaidcowboy - Dec 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Well, let’s see how long that’ll last now. The way things are nowadays, he may have to change that habit.

• thebigcaptain2011 - Dec 19, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. Unless he has 3 bodyguards riding alongside him, I would not reccomend him doing this in this day and age.

• LPad - Dec 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM

especially given that the media decide to publish how he gets home. Have they forgotten about incidents like the sean taylor murder?

3. paleihe - Dec 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM

That bike looks pretty damn small for him.

4. BigBeachBall - Dec 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM

*he used to ride a bike to home games*

5. yousuxxors - Dec 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Kurt wants lebron and kobe to have their way with him

6. lakerchuy - Dec 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Calm down Kurt, i think you need to wipe Lebrons DNA off of your face.

7. davidly - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Wow. This thread has a classic mixture of the American cliché: homophobic a-holes and people who think using a bike for transportation is formidable.

8. bleedburgandyandgold - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

He looks like a giant on that bike lol

9. changeup39 - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Hey, its a tough economy.

Siiiiike. But seriously though, Miami is such a tiny city– not all that shocking to hear this. But…if you own the Heat, this gets a big NERP.

10. dirtydavis - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM

LBJ goat

11. freemantowilliams - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Why guys always busting on kurt? Lol it’s pretty funny though.

• moseskkim - Dec 20, 2012 at 7:11 AM

I know.. Give the man some respect.. Would u say that crap to his face? If your answer is yes then ur really immature and arrogant. He’s paid to Write stories and guess what Lebron is a pretty big star. If he wrote about nikola pekovic riDing his bike to the lake ain’t nobody reading/commenting. And in my opinion it’s pretty cool he rides a bike to the arena

12. cantonbound13 - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Who cares how he gets to work? Only a stalker like Kurt cares.

13. cantonbound13 - Dec 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM

A little advise for LeBron: you might want to look into a restraining order on Kurt.

14. fanofevilempire - Dec 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I remember my first BIG boy bike.
    It was a white Huffy dirt bike.
    I got it for x-mas 1980.
    It was awesome.
    It was the best bike on the block.
    I hope LeBron enjoys riding his bike.
    I enjoyed riding my bike.
    I often think about that bike.
    I miss that bike.
    I hope one day I can get another bike.

15. BrownsTown - Dec 19, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Kurt was inspecting the photo closely to see if the bike had pegs so he could ride on the back.

16. jimeejohnson - Dec 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Jealous haters voted mostly for The Twit.

17. badintent - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Kurt’s still pulling his little red wagon and his …………………………….

18. 13fitzj - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

And people just noticed?

19. loungefly74 - Dec 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM

that is cool of Lebron.

20. redux23 - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Hopefully he keeps his eyes peeled for Donté Stallworth

• thebigcaptain2011 - Dec 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Lol. Post of the day

• badintent - Dec 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM

LOL! funny but true. Donte’s accident near the Venetian causeway is very close to Heat Area.

21. shaner329 - Dec 20, 2012 at 9:48 AM

It’s not like it’s anything new

22. doc305 - Dec 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM

My family and I went to the game last Saturday against the Wizards. After the game we went around back to see if we could possibly get lucky and get an autograph or picture with one of the players ( there was seriously only like five people back there with us, you’d think more people would try to see these guys..) So we wait there for a minute and Bosh comes out with his baby, signs a few autographs, jokes it up with a few of us and takes off…About five minutes later one of the arena employees says Lebrons about to come out..so we all stand waiting to see a Land Rover, Benz, something, but like a bat out of hell a monster on a bike comes roaring out and is gone in a flash…. it was Bron…. dude hauls a$$!!! That dude could probably easily top 20 plus mph on that thing… dudes an animal.

• avermaver - Dec 21, 2012 at 2:59 AM

cool story, seriously

23. davidcl77 - Dec 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Just who gives a poop?

24. papacrick - Dec 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Well you just put the goons on notice. Hope he doesn’t have his debit card. Somebody will lead him to an ATM at gunpoint before the playoffs. Mark it down

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches