Dec 19, 2012, 8:46 AM EDT
It was meant to be all in fun. But it didn’t feel that way anymore to Joakim Noah.
When Noah would hit a big shot or make a big play, his trademarked celebration was to make guns out of his fingers, pretend to fire them off then holster them at his side.
But in the wake of the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, and ongoing gun violence in Chicago, Noah has holstered the guns for good. He is no longer doing that celebration (and didn’t when he had a triple-double against the Celtics Tuesday night), he told Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.
“It wasn’t just what happened in Connecticut. You just have to be kind of compassionate about what’s going on, man. We have issues with guns. Gun violence in this country is out of control and you’ve just got to be sensitive to that. I love this country. This country did so much for me.
“But I think it’s important to be more critical and we have issues. I feel just as American as I do French and the issues are complicated, but you’ve got to be sensitive and a lot of kids are dying. In Chicago, a lot of kids are dying in the streets, so that’s why I’m not doing that anymore.”
There are no simple answers to reducing gun violence in our society, to keeping weapons out of the hands of the mentally unstable as well as criminals while respecting the rights of those following the law. It’s something that requires a sober discussion not screaming talking heads looking for attention.
For that reason, I credit Noah. It’s just a basketball celebration, it doesn’t change what is happening on the streets of Chicago. But it’s a sign from someone that we need to be more serious about these issues.
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 24
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 27
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4