Dec 18, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
Because the Sacramento Kings needed something else to go wrong…
The Kings, loser of five in a row — including one to the Suns Monday night where they fell apart in the second half — could be without Tyreke Evans for an extended period of time, reports the Sacramento Bee.
Evans has missed seven of 10 games, he tried to go on Sunday in Denver but played only 10 minutes, and coach Keith Smart said he doesn’t want Evans back on the court until he can go 100 percent.
“That’s something that’s going to come down to him and the medical staff,” Smart said. “My thing is, when I see that you can’t move, I’ve got to pull the plug on you. It’s up to you, the medical staff and your representatives to make that final call….
“I think the doctors and training staff have done all they can possibly do,” Smart said. “Now it just comes down to pain tolerance. He plays a position where there’s different changes of direction, where you have to push off, and he’s an acceleration guy. He’s not a big guy that stands in one place or runs in a straight line.”
Evans this season is pretty similar statistically to Evans last season — a good young player but maybe not one living up to the promise of his rookie season. He is attacking more but still is not getting to the free throw line and creating like he did as a rookie. The Kings still have a decision about what to do with him going forward — trade, sign him to a new deal or let him find out what the market is offering and match (or not).
What move they make likely depends in part on how he plays the rest of this season, and getting healthy will be a big part of that. So don’t be shocked if he misses more games.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20