Dec 18, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
Because the Sacramento Kings needed something else to go wrong…
The Kings, loser of five in a row — including one to the Suns Monday night where they fell apart in the second half — could be without Tyreke Evans for an extended period of time, reports the Sacramento Bee.
Evans has missed seven of 10 games, he tried to go on Sunday in Denver but played only 10 minutes, and coach Keith Smart said he doesn’t want Evans back on the court until he can go 100 percent.
“That’s something that’s going to come down to him and the medical staff,” Smart said. “My thing is, when I see that you can’t move, I’ve got to pull the plug on you. It’s up to you, the medical staff and your representatives to make that final call….
“I think the doctors and training staff have done all they can possibly do,” Smart said. “Now it just comes down to pain tolerance. He plays a position where there’s different changes of direction, where you have to push off, and he’s an acceleration guy. He’s not a big guy that stands in one place or runs in a straight line.”
Evans this season is pretty similar statistically to Evans last season — a good young player but maybe not one living up to the promise of his rookie season. He is attacking more but still is not getting to the free throw line and creating like he did as a rookie. The Kings still have a decision about what to do with him going forward — trade, sign him to a new deal or let him find out what the market is offering and match (or not).
What move they make likely depends in part on how he plays the rest of this season, and getting healthy will be a big part of that. So don’t be shocked if he misses more games.
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 28
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 21
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22