Dec 18, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
Because the Sacramento Kings needed something else to go wrong…
The Kings, loser of five in a row — including one to the Suns Monday night where they fell apart in the second half — could be without Tyreke Evans for an extended period of time, reports the Sacramento Bee.
Evans has missed seven of 10 games, he tried to go on Sunday in Denver but played only 10 minutes, and coach Keith Smart said he doesn’t want Evans back on the court until he can go 100 percent.
“That’s something that’s going to come down to him and the medical staff,” Smart said. “My thing is, when I see that you can’t move, I’ve got to pull the plug on you. It’s up to you, the medical staff and your representatives to make that final call….
“I think the doctors and training staff have done all they can possibly do,” Smart said. “Now it just comes down to pain tolerance. He plays a position where there’s different changes of direction, where you have to push off, and he’s an acceleration guy. He’s not a big guy that stands in one place or runs in a straight line.”
Evans this season is pretty similar statistically to Evans last season — a good young player but maybe not one living up to the promise of his rookie season. He is attacking more but still is not getting to the free throw line and creating like he did as a rookie. The Kings still have a decision about what to do with him going forward — trade, sign him to a new deal or let him find out what the market is offering and match (or not).
What move they make likely depends in part on how he plays the rest of this season, and getting healthy will be a big part of that. So don’t be shocked if he misses more games.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 0
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 8
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23