Dec 18, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
As we debated whether or not the Celtics should bring back the band for one more run or break it up and start to rebuild, one question we never discussed was “are the Celtics a veteran team?” Because it seems obvious.
But Celtics coach Doc Rivers doesn’t see it that way.
“Where I think people get mixed up, there’s a difference between a veteran team and a lot of veterans on a team,” Rivers said. “This is not a veteran team. This team hasn’t been together.”
I’m not buying it. It’s a matter of semantics, but I’m on the other side.
In the economics of today’s NBA, you’re not going to get teams like the 1980s Celtics where maybe a few fringe players change but even the role guys stick in the same spot year after year after year. That’s not how it works (it wasn’t even how it worked then, exactly).
A veteran team now has a core that has been together for years and rotate role players who buy in around it. Think Spurs.
Also think Boston. They are veteran at their core. Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo are the core and they have been together for a long time. Yes, they have to fit in Jeff Green and Jason Terry and the soon-to-return Avery Bradley, but every team is moving role players a lot in the off-season. To me the core of Boston is veteran and the other guys just need to buy in and play.
They are just not playing all that well right now.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 21
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 29
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 4
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31