Dec 18, 2012, 8:44 AM EDT
Things are not right in Boston — this was a veteran team that was expected to break out of the pack in the East and be the team that would challenge Miami for conference supremacy.
Instead the Knicks have broken out of the pack while the Celtics have floated around .500 (12-11) and they are the currently the eight seed in the East. Some things need to change.
That may include making a trade to bring in another big man, David Aldridge reports in his weekly must-read column at NBA.com (great stuff on the Lakers and other trade rumor updates here as well).
(Courtney) Lee agreed to four-year, $21 million contract in a sign-and-trade deal that sent him from Houston to Boston in a three-way trade also involving Portland. But he’s shooting just 28.6 percent from 3-point range this season, well off his career mark of 38.6 percent (and way off last season’s 40.1 percent behind the arc).
The problem Boston — and every team looking for a big man — faces is there are not that many good ones out there. Zach Lowe suggests maybe Ryan Hollins with the Clippers, who has fallen behind DeAndre Jordan and Ronny Turiaf in the rotation. But there is a reason Hollins has fallen behind those guys and he’s not a real impact/game changing kind of guy. He’s not some huge upgrade over Chris Wilcox.
Maybe someone will come on the market and Lee is a good chip to have, but this will not be easy for Boston.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 20
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 17
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead