Dec 18, 2012, 8:44 AM EDT
Things are not right in Boston — this was a veteran team that was expected to break out of the pack in the East and be the team that would challenge Miami for conference supremacy.
Instead the Knicks have broken out of the pack while the Celtics have floated around .500 (12-11) and they are the currently the eight seed in the East. Some things need to change.
That may include making a trade to bring in another big man, David Aldridge reports in his weekly must-read column at NBA.com (great stuff on the Lakers and other trade rumor updates here as well).
(Courtney) Lee agreed to four-year, $21 million contract in a sign-and-trade deal that sent him from Houston to Boston in a three-way trade also involving Portland. But he’s shooting just 28.6 percent from 3-point range this season, well off his career mark of 38.6 percent (and way off last season’s 40.1 percent behind the arc).
The problem Boston — and every team looking for a big man — faces is there are not that many good ones out there. Zach Lowe suggests maybe Ryan Hollins with the Clippers, who has fallen behind DeAndre Jordan and Ronny Turiaf in the rotation. But there is a reason Hollins has fallen behind those guys and he’s not a real impact/game changing kind of guy. He’s not some huge upgrade over Chris Wilcox.
Maybe someone will come on the market and Lee is a good chip to have, but this will not be easy for Boston.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20