Dec 18, 2012, 8:44 AM EST
Things are not right in Boston — this was a veteran team that was expected to break out of the pack in the East and be the team that would challenge Miami for conference supremacy.
Instead the Knicks have broken out of the pack while the Celtics have floated around .500 (12-11) and they are the currently the eight seed in the East. Some things need to change.
That may include making a trade to bring in another big man, David Aldridge reports in his weekly must-read column at NBA.com (great stuff on the Lakers and other trade rumor updates here as well).
(Courtney) Lee agreed to four-year, $21 million contract in a sign-and-trade deal that sent him from Houston to Boston in a three-way trade also involving Portland. But he’s shooting just 28.6 percent from 3-point range this season, well off his career mark of 38.6 percent (and way off last season’s 40.1 percent behind the arc).
The problem Boston — and every team looking for a big man — faces is there are not that many good ones out there. Zach Lowe suggests maybe Ryan Hollins with the Clippers, who has fallen behind DeAndre Jordan and Ronny Turiaf in the rotation. But there is a reason Hollins has fallen behind those guys and he’s not a real impact/game changing kind of guy. He’s not some huge upgrade over Chris Wilcox.
Maybe someone will come on the market and Lee is a good chip to have, but this will not be easy for Boston.
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 1
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 1
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)