Dec 18, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT
After taking some shots at shootaround Tuesday morning, Jrue Holiday told Dei Lynam of CSNPhilly.com that his injured foot hurt more than it did on Monday morning. That was the morning after he worked out before the Sixers lost to the Lakers.
Nothing is official, but draw your own conclusions on him playing Tuesday night in Dallas after this quote from shootaround:
“It hurts when I plant, when I try to make cuts. And I didn’t really try defense,” Holiday said. “It hurts when I plant to go up for a layup or trying to go different directions on the court.”
When Holiday does come back, the Sixers need him to get to the free throw line more. And convince Evan Turner to do the same. The Sixers are a jumpshooting team right now and it is killing them.
Only one team in the Association (Orlando) has a lower free throw attempts per shot attempt ratio than the Sixers. Lynam broke that down and asked coach Doug Collins about it, too.
There are just 10 players in the NBA that have played at least 840 minutes, made 65 or fewer free throws and attempted 80 shots or less at the line. Three of them are on the Sixers’ roster: Thaddeus Young, Evan Turner and Jrue Holiday.
Making matters worse, the team was shooting 77 percent at the line through the first 16 games of the season but are hitting just 65 percent over the last eight contests.
“I went through all our guys and saw how many minutes they played per free throw over the last eight games,” Doug Collins said. “Our second guy per minute shooting free throws is Damien Wilkins. Thad is No. 1 at 3.5. Damien is five and something. … Jrue is 1 in 11, Evan is 1 in 17, Swaggy [Nick Young] is 1 in 25. I know numbers can lie, but there are certain numbers that tell the truth. We have to get in the paint and we have to get to the foul line,” Collins stressed. “We can’t keep getting beat 15-16 points at the foul line, we just can’t make that up.”
Andrew Bynum will change that. Someday. He gets to the line and will be more than happy to tell you that unlike guys like Shaq and Dwight he knocks down his free throws. It’s just the whole “when he gets on the court because of his knees” thing standing in the way.
A lot of young players have to learn how to draw fouls in the NBA — remember Derrick Rose the first half of his rookie season? It takes some time for some guys. But these Sixers players do need o get it.
Hopefully Holiday will see that as he sits out another day.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 4
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 18
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 26
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy