Fighting 11-game losing streak, Bobcats coach trying to teach young team professionalism

Dec 18, 2012, 10:16 PM EST

Mike Dunlap AP

The Bobcats are not a good basketball team. We knew that going into the season, even if it was masked when they won five out of six at one point in mid November. They were a young team, not a very talented team, and you knew the regression to the mean was coming.

But an 11-game losing streak is harsh.

Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap is there to develop young players like Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Bizmack Biyombo, Kemba Walker and Gerald Henderson into a team that will not be so bad in a few years (and with a few more players).

And so when you have an 11-game losing streak, you try to use the frustration to teach the lessons of being a professional as a player, he said before his team took on the Lakers in the first of a four-games in five days road trip.

“You listen to their frustration. You acknowledge it. And then you move off of it to what is to be done next,” Dunlap said. “I think that here is a formula within this, I don’t care how tough it gets. You have to give them clear direction, one. And you have to have energy. You have to be the same person every day…

“I have been unrelenting in my energy every day. It’s okay to be frustrated, it’s how you handle the frustration.”

But make no mistake, Dunlap is frustrated, as are the veteran Bobcats such as Ben Gordon and Ramon Sessions. Dunlap speaks like a coach of a young team, trying to teach with each step.

“I think it’s frustrating for everybody, but I think it’s how you manage the frustration, and I think you want the same person in terms of the coaching staff in front of the players every day,” Dunlap said. “So if they are up or down, you recognize the frustration.

“There’s nothing like work to cleanse the soul. And also a clear direction — I think you have to tell people how they are going to win… I think we do that every day. We have a certain style that we play and we haven’t backed off of that one iota.

“And on our individual work. I think when you are 18 or 19 or 20 or 21 you have got to work in this league in order to develop. Feet, hands, reading defenses.”

The Bobcats are doing none of those skills particularly well, and certainly not consistently. But it’s about learning, developing habits, putting together some core players that can be around in a few years.

It’s the thankless part of the coaching job. Especially when you are losing 11 in a row with a potential for that streak to grow.

1. dalucks - Dec 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM

The Bobcats played better when Brendan Haywood was starting and Bizmack Biyombo was coming off the bench. The Bobcats are a poor rebounding and bad defensive team when Mullens and Biyombo play together. Plus, Biyombo has no offensive game while Mullens is a new school Brad Lohaus. Atleast Haywood rebounds, gets garbage baskets and lets Mullens play the 4 spot because he is allergic to contact which makes him ineffective at the 5 spot.
    I know Biyombo was a high draft pick but his development has been a very slow process. Maybe he develops into a Serge Ibaka type, maybe, but he is not there yet.

• pudgalvin - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Thumbs for watching enough bobcats games to know that. MJ probably couldn’t even tell you that much about the team. God bless you for being a fan of that team.

2. jerdogthompson - Dec 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM

C’mon bobcats, show some backbone. Stand up and play for pride for gods sake men!

3. jerdogthompson - Dec 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Looks like they have heard the “call to arms”. Just hope they can put together a decent 2nd half. I like Mullens, no relation to Chris from the warriors days I take it?

This can be a decent team, just need to get their rotations down and perhaps they can pull one off AGAIN, Lakers are like 8-12 lifetime against the Bobcats.

Pau can’t hit the side of a barn, let alone put one in from outside. Time to break out the Mangina-sil again, too much yeast in that locker room these days.

4. MyTeamsAllStink - Dec 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Bobcats are showing fight tonight.Or maybe the Lakers are just that bad?

5. jerdogthompson - Dec 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Bobcats plain and simple deserved that win. They did everything right……..I’m a bit shocked that after having such a great game Gerald missed that go ahead open layup. Luck of the bounce as they say. Hang your heads high Bobcats, you fought against tremendous odds and missed by “that” much.

I’m sure this team will be better moving forward, once they get over this disappointment they can respect their collective efforts and understand they really should have won this game. Until next time…….

6. cosanostra71 - Dec 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

In what world did the Bobcats “deserve” to win? Last time I checked the best way to win a game is to score more points than your opponent. Not only did the Bobcats fail to do that, they did it by blowing an 18 point lead and missing 5 shots to win it in the last 15 seconds.

The Bobcats are getting better, but they did not deserve to win tonight. I thought Gerald Henderson played well and I think that Dunlap is a good coach. Nice hire MJ and Cho.

7. fanofevilempire - Dec 19, 2012 at 6:47 AM

hornets are a waste of time.

8. Gordon - Dec 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM

This franchise is awful, from top to bottom. Just contract this team already, along with the Kings and Raptors.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches