Dec 17, 2012, 3:39 PM EDT
The Miami Heat keep catching breaks at home (and their home fans keep losing out). There was the much publicized — and expensive — time Gregg Popovich sat out Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili in Miami. But that was just the tip of the iceberg —Carmelo Anthony, Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis all have sat vs. Miami.
Now you can add Ricky Rubio to that list, or at least you can after Tuesday.
Ricky Rubio says he will play tonight in Orlando, but not Tuesday in Miami against LeBron James and the Heat on the NBA as part of the team’s plan not to play him on the second game of back-to-back situations here as he returns from knee surgery.
When asked if he’s disappointed he won’t play against the defending champs in an arena he didn’t play in last year, Rubio said, “Yes, of course, but I have to follow the rules.”
If you are asking “why don’t they sit him against Orlando and play him in Miami, it’s because they want wins. With Rubio in the lineup they likely beat Orlando (although the Magic have played good defense of late). Sit him and that game is a lot closer. However, with or without Rubio in the lineup the Timberwolves likely have a hard time with the Heat (even as up and down as Miami has been this season).
That is especially true with the Timberwolves other games this week being against the Thunder and Knicks. They want the closest thing to the sure win.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13