Dec 17, 2012, 3:39 PM EDT
The Miami Heat keep catching breaks at home (and their home fans keep losing out). There was the much publicized — and expensive — time Gregg Popovich sat out Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili in Miami. But that was just the tip of the iceberg —Carmelo Anthony, Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis all have sat vs. Miami.
Now you can add Ricky Rubio to that list, or at least you can after Tuesday.
Ricky Rubio says he will play tonight in Orlando, but not Tuesday in Miami against LeBron James and the Heat on the NBA as part of the team’s plan not to play him on the second game of back-to-back situations here as he returns from knee surgery.
When asked if he’s disappointed he won’t play against the defending champs in an arena he didn’t play in last year, Rubio said, “Yes, of course, but I have to follow the rules.”
If you are asking “why don’t they sit him against Orlando and play him in Miami, it’s because they want wins. With Rubio in the lineup they likely beat Orlando (although the Magic have played good defense of late). Sit him and that game is a lot closer. However, with or without Rubio in the lineup the Timberwolves likely have a hard time with the Heat (even as up and down as Miami has been this season).
That is especially true with the Timberwolves other games this week being against the Thunder and Knicks. They want the closest thing to the sure win.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 4
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 13
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 6
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 10
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (100)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'