Dec 17, 2012, 3:39 PM EST
The Miami Heat keep catching breaks at home (and their home fans keep losing out). There was the much publicized — and expensive — time Gregg Popovich sat out Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili in Miami. But that was just the tip of the iceberg —Carmelo Anthony, Kyrie Irving and Anthony Davis all have sat vs. Miami.
Now you can add Ricky Rubio to that list, or at least you can after Tuesday.
Ricky Rubio says he will play tonight in Orlando, but not Tuesday in Miami against LeBron James and the Heat on the NBA as part of the team’s plan not to play him on the second game of back-to-back situations here as he returns from knee surgery.
When asked if he’s disappointed he won’t play against the defending champs in an arena he didn’t play in last year, Rubio said, “Yes, of course, but I have to follow the rules.”
If you are asking “why don’t they sit him against Orlando and play him in Miami, it’s because they want wins. With Rubio in the lineup they likely beat Orlando (although the Magic have played good defense of late). Sit him and that game is a lot closer. However, with or without Rubio in the lineup the Timberwolves likely have a hard time with the Heat (even as up and down as Miami has been this season).
That is especially true with the Timberwolves other games this week being against the Thunder and Knicks. They want the closest thing to the sure win.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 1
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20