Dec 17, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
The Spurs visit the Thunder tonight in a rematch of the thrilling Western Conference Finals from last spring.
The Thunder come into the game having won their last 10 games and in possession of the conference’s best record. The Spurs enter the game winning six of their last eight games and have the conference’s second best record.
What the Spurs won’t have, however, are three of the best perimeter players, including Manu Ginobili who injured his quadricep against the Celtics on Saturday:
Ginobili was considered doubtful to play tonight, so this isn’t that big of a surprise. Gregg Popovich will not rush players back from injury, even if it’s a big game against a major conference rival.
That said, when you combine Ginobili being out with Kawhi Leonard (missed the last 16 games) and Stephen Jackson (missed the last 14 games), the Spurs are extremely thin on the wing. Luckily they’re not facing a team with several great players on the perimeter to take advantage.
Oh, that’s right. The Spurs are facing the Thunder with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and Kevin Martin on the wing. This will certainly not end well for San Antonio who will look Danny Green and Gary Neal to raise their games tonight.
And while no team gets more out of their role players than San Antonio, facing this specific Thunder team will be a tall task. So while it’s typically foolish to doubt the Spurs, this is one of those games you can do so safely.
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 5
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 9
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7