Dec 17, 2012, 12:51 AM EDT
This was not an easy shot.
Blazers rookie Damian Lillard continued his impressive start to the season, this time draining the game-winning shot from beyond three-point distance to give his team the 95-94 home victory over the Hornets.
It would have been a shame for Portland to waste its win against the Spurs on Thursday by giving one away against New Orleans, but after seeing a 12-point fourth quarter lead disappear entirely, that was a very real possibility.
It was all tied at 92 with 4.2 seconds remaining, with the Blazers taking the ball out of bounds. Lillard inbounded to Luke Babbitt, who handed it back to Lillard behind the three-point arc as the clock began to wind down.
Lillard used Babbitt’s screen, but Ryan Anderson stepped out to contest, yet somehow Lillard was able to get a sight line to the basket, before launching the shot attempt over Anderson that looked good as soon as it left his hands.
This wasn’t one of Lillard’s better games, as he finished with just 16 points on 5-of-14 shooting, while Anderson led all scorers with 26 points. But the rookie won out on the night’s final meaningful play, and it resulted in the third straight win for the Blazers.
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 3
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games