Dec 17, 2012, 8:03 AM EDT
Bynum on the other hand had no problem talking about Howard and the Lakers.
“I think Dwight’s a great player, but he’s going to have to get accustomed to playing with Kobe obviously, and not touching the ball every single play,” Bynum said…
“Later I thought I was able to get the ball more and do more things with the ball, so I could definitely see how at the end it could stunt growth,” Bynum said. “Winning championships there was fun. But obviously my time there is done. Health is the main concern with me now.
“I don’t regret anything. Personally, they traded No. 1 for No. 2 and that is what happened.”
Bynum’s not wrong, this season will be an adjustment for Howard. His points per game is down two from last season, which not so coincidentally is how many fewer shots a game Howard is getting this season over last.
Howard would happily make that sacrifice if it meant winning games, and eventually playoff games. So far it really hasn’t. When Steve Nash and Pau Gasol return to the Lakers lineup — both of which could happen this week — the Lakers are going to look to Howard to won the boards and the defensive paint, then get his points. How much he’s willing to make that sacrifice may depend on wins.
As for Bynum, he just needs to get on the court. He has long thought he should get more touches in the Lakers offense, that he should be more of a focal point. He’s got that now. He’s the man. Well, he will be once he gets on the court. Which is part o the reason the Lakers were willing, even eager, to make this trade.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 13
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9