Dec 17, 2012, 8:03 AM EST
Bynum on the other hand had no problem talking about Howard and the Lakers.
“I think Dwight’s a great player, but he’s going to have to get accustomed to playing with Kobe obviously, and not touching the ball every single play,” Bynum said…
“Later I thought I was able to get the ball more and do more things with the ball, so I could definitely see how at the end it could stunt growth,” Bynum said. “Winning championships there was fun. But obviously my time there is done. Health is the main concern with me now.
“I don’t regret anything. Personally, they traded No. 1 for No. 2 and that is what happened.”
Bynum’s not wrong, this season will be an adjustment for Howard. His points per game is down two from last season, which not so coincidentally is how many fewer shots a game Howard is getting this season over last.
Howard would happily make that sacrifice if it meant winning games, and eventually playoff games. So far it really hasn’t. When Steve Nash and Pau Gasol return to the Lakers lineup — both of which could happen this week — the Lakers are going to look to Howard to won the boards and the defensive paint, then get his points. How much he’s willing to make that sacrifice may depend on wins.
As for Bynum, he just needs to get on the court. He has long thought he should get more touches in the Lakers offense, that he should be more of a focal point. He’s got that now. He’s the man. Well, he will be once he gets on the court. Which is part o the reason the Lakers were willing, even eager, to make this trade.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 2
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 27
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (57)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)