Dec 16, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
It wasn’t so much the statistical impact that Rubio had in his team’s overtime win over the Mavericks, though he did finish with nine assists in only 18 minutes of action.
It was the crisp passing and the flair he has for playing the game from the point guard position that truly makes him special to watch.
This assist to Greg Stiemsma early in the second quarter exemplifies that.
Rubio receives the ball at the top of the three-point arc, and initiates the dribble-drive after a brief shot fake. Once he gets near the baseline, the pass he makes is so unbelievable that it was almost hard to see on the very first viewing.
The replay shows that the ball was bounced with precision through the legs of Elton Brand, and right into Stiemsma’s capable hands.
Amazing vision from Rubio there, and equally impressive was that this occurred in his first few minutes of NBA action in over nine months.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18