Bargnani denies saying Toronto was “worst team”

Dec 16, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors Andrea Bargnani reacts after hitting a shot during their NBA basketball game against the Utah Jazz in Salt Lake City Reuters

Andrea Bargnani is already not exactly the most popular guy in Toronto. And that’s putting it kindly. He’s slightly ahead of Gary Bettman on the most hated sports figures list, but that’s about it.

So reports last week that Bargnani told an Italian publication that the Raptors were the worst team (and he would be out three weeks with an elbow injury) did not sit well.

But an emotional Bargnani denies he said that, reports Ryan Wolstat at the Toronto Sun.

“Nobody is satisfied. Not me, not DeMar (DeRozan), not coach, nobody. That was my sentence, (a) pretty good answer to a pretty stupid question. But I think it was an answer that makes a lot of sense,” Bargnani said, clearly angered….

“I’m not going to go over every single crap that was in there, I just wanted to clarify for all you media guys that specific sentence. I’m going to have people look over it and take care of the other stuff, because I don’t think some people can afford to change my words like that, so I’m going to have people taking care of that,” he said, alluding to legal action.

Bargnani joins a long and proud list of athletes who say they were misquoted. Some were, many were not they just wanted out from under what they said. It’s harder with translated items because of the nuance and implications of words in one language that do not translate cleanly to another. The reporter says he has the conversation recorded.

Either way, I’m not sure the Raptors fan base believes Bargnani.

I don’t speak Italian, but I’ll just leave you this from someone who does at the reliable and fantastic Sportando.

1. charlescub80 - Dec 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

He was right the first time

2. manchestermiracle - Dec 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I’m pretty confident that in a huge hockey town like Toronto no one is even close to being as hated as Bettman.

3. spthegr8 - Dec 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM

When keepin it real goes wrong!!! What’s the big deal, its the TRUTH!!! Have you seen the raptors play???? They SUCK!!!!

4. atwatercrushesokoye - Dec 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM

His comments weren’t that inflammatory and probably not wrong but the thing is the team is a lot better now without him as evidenced by their two straight wins and how well they played (with only 8 guys) in the game before that.

5. 00maltliquor - Dec 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Just man up and own up to your initial assessment, Andrea.

6. abchome - Dec 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM

He’s right, and he’s a major reason why.

• badintent - Dec 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

@ abdhome Your right, Yeah , today they had a paint game with Davis scoring, boarding and blocking , the rest of the team got into the act and had 6 more blocks.Beat Houston with good D and hustle. Andrea gets hives when he comes near the paint, Euro-trash soft.

7. brotherlove2012 - Dec 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Bargnani is the pore’s man Pau Gasol … on a bad day … Soft, no guts, no drive … One of the worst firts pick in history as far as his negative impact on the team.

8. brotherlove2012 - Dec 17, 2012 at 8:15 AM

*poor

9. borderline1988 - Dec 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Ed Davis is a much better option than Bargani. Sure, Barnagin will give you 10 more points than Davis, but he’ll shoot the ball 10 more times to do so.
    However Davis gives you more rebounds, hustle, toughness, defense, intangibles – just about every basketball skill possible besides outright scoring.

I would rather haver Barnagni play and play well, so his trade value increases (like Calderon is doing now). But if the goal is to win games, Ed Davis and Amir Johnson are better options.

10. brotherlove2012 - Dec 17, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Abdolutely!

11. brotherlove2012 - Dec 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Absolutely … That auto-corrector is a nightmare … :-)

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches