Dec 15, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
Rubio tore both his ACL and LCL last March, and hasn’t played in a game since.
“I’m excited to get back on the floor with my teammates and play in front of the best fans in the NBA at Target Center,” said Rubio. “After a long recovery, this is the first step in me getting back on the court and helping my teammates. Thank you to the fans for their support over the last nine months.”
It’s been a very up-and-down start to the season for the Timberwolves, mainly due to a rash of injuries. Rubio and Kevin Love weren’t expected to be back by opening night, but the team also saw Brandon Roy and Chase Budinger go down, as well as Malcolm Lee most recently.
Through it all, though, and since Love’s return, the Timberwolves have begun to get back on track, winning three straight and five of their last six. Minnesota is 11-9 on the season.
Dallas will be looking to rebound after losing two straight on the road — a respectable one in overtime in Boston, and then a hard-to-believe 21-point loss in Toronto two days later against one of the league’s worst teams.
Rubio’s return should be exciting to watch; despite all the injuries, Luke Ridnour and Alexey Shved will provide depth behind him at the point guard position, and the flair and style with which Rubio plays should make everyone around him better almost immediately.
We’ll see how long it takes for Rubio to get back into game shape and be the player he was before going down with injury. But once he’s at full strength, Minnesota should not only be a fun team to watch, but a dangerous one, as well.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4