Dec 15, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
That might change this year, with Varejao leading the league in rebounding and having an All-Star caliber season — even if, as we discussed on our weekly podcast, the fans have been slow to realize it.
Despite Varejao’s improved performance, he’s still believed to be available for other teams to acquire via trade.
The price tag, however, is likely on the rise.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
We shared with you in a recent Weekend Dime how one Eastern Conference team official routinely refers to Varejao’s run of double-doubles this season as the Brazilian’s “Get Me Out of Cleveland” tour.
Various teams have chimed in since to say that Varejao is highly available, as he has been for the past few seasons, but likewise expressed a good amount of skepticism about his actually moving before the trade buzzer in February because the Cavs’ perpetually high asking price has only gone up.
In other words, unless a team with both young assets and a high draft pick comes calling and is willing to pay a hefty price for Varejao’s services, don’t expect him to be moved just yet.
The last time we talked about the Varejao situation, we mentioned the Thunder as the team that would benefit the most from the addition of a player with his skill set. They have the combination of players and picks that the Cavaliers would likely be seeking, but Stein also reports that OKC hasn’t shown very much interest.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 8
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 34
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 82
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19