Dec 15, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
Kyrie Irving is injured again, another fracture.
But this time he is not missing any games — he just returned last week from missing 11 games with a fractured finger — he’s just going to join Tristan Thompson and Tyler Zeller as part of the Cavaliers masked men.
Irving suffered a fractured bone in his jaw from a hard foul Friday night against the Bucks, reports the Associated Press. While his team boarded a flight to New York for Saturday’s game against the Knicks, Irving stayed behind to get fitted for the mask, then caught up with the team and will play in the game.
The team said Irving fractured his left maxilla, which is the bone above the upper teeth. The injury was found with a CT scan conducted after Friday’s game, when Irving played 36 minutes and scored 26 points.
Thompson and Zeller are wearing masks from facial injuries earlier this season.
But the whole mask thing fits with the name Cavaliers, so maybe more guys will start to do it just for the marketing… okay, probably not.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70