Dec 15, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
Kyrie Irving is injured again, another fracture.
But this time he is not missing any games — he just returned last week from missing 11 games with a fractured finger — he’s just going to join Tristan Thompson and Tyler Zeller as part of the Cavaliers masked men.
Irving suffered a fractured bone in his jaw from a hard foul Friday night against the Bucks, reports the Associated Press. While his team boarded a flight to New York for Saturday’s game against the Knicks, Irving stayed behind to get fitted for the mask, then caught up with the team and will play in the game.
The team said Irving fractured his left maxilla, which is the bone above the upper teeth. The injury was found with a CT scan conducted after Friday’s game, when Irving played 36 minutes and scored 26 points.
Thompson and Zeller are wearing masks from facial injuries earlier this season.
But the whole mask thing fits with the name Cavaliers, so maybe more guys will start to do it just for the marketing… okay, probably not.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7