Dec 15, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The show of support and respect from around the league for Rockets head coach Kevin McHale, who has returned to the team following an extended leave of absence after the passing of his daughter, has truly been amazing to see.
It shows that the brotherhood of those involved with the game runs much deeper than basketball, and while the tribute the Mavericks paid McHale in his first game back on the bench last week was certainly emotional, it was nothing compared to the scene that played out between him and Kevin Garnett after the Rockets took down the Celtics on Friday.
Garnett was drafted by the Timberwolves in 1995, a decision that was made by McHale as VP of Basketball Operations for the Minnesota franchise at the time. McHale was also the one who traded Garnett to the Celtics, and after 12 seasons together there, the bond between the two men that was formed remains strong to this day.
After Friday night’s contest, Garnett walked over and embraced McHale, and had words for his former GM that clearly resonated. As seen in the video clip above, the embrace lasted several seconds, and McHale appeared to reach the point of tears near the end of the interaction.
Just a really powerful moment to witness, and one that may or may not shed some light on Garnett the person being a lot more sensitive and reasonable than the one we’ve seen screaming expletives at his opponents on a nightly basis throughout his 18 NBA seasons.
The moment came as a result of the most awful of circumstances, but the fact that there are strong relationships that can provide a foundation for dealing with the tragedies of this world is reassuring to even the most cynical.
Sports act as a distraction from the struggles of our daily existence. Yet sometimes, a rare set of circumstances can create a snapshot in time that transcends the games we use to get away. The embrace between Garnett and McHale most certainly qualifies.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 3
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44