Dwight Howard shuts down Andrew Bynum questions in advance of Lakers next game against Sixers

Dec 15, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT

Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum

The storylines are predictable anytime one team is set to face another that features one of its former players.

The new player will be asked about the old one, and that’s especially true when those players were All-Stars who were swapped for one another in a deal that anyone would classify as nothing short of a blockbuster.

Dwight Howard, however, has no interest in such things.

The Lakers will face the Sixers in Philadelphia on Sunday, the team that now has Andrew Bynum on its roster, though not on its basketball court.

While Howard has returned earlier than expected from back surgery (and is still not yet back to 100 percent), Bynum has struggled with knee issues that have kept him from putting on a Sixers uniform to this point for any of the team’s regular season contests.

Howard was asked about Bynum after the Lakers finally got back in the win column Friday by beating the Wizards, and for once, he wisely decided to remain mum on a potentially controversial topic.

From Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com:

“I know what it feels like to be injured and not being able to help your team, but we have enough problems on our team that I need to put my focus on. I wish him the best and hopefully he gets healthy and he can stay healthy, but my focus is that I remain healthy and I get back to 100 percent and our team.”

Howard clearly didn’t want to talk about Bynum. When the guy with the goofy hairdo and unfortunate knees was first brought up, Howard rebuffed the subject matter, saying, “That has nothing to do with tonight’s game.”

When told Bynum has something to do with the Lakers’ next game, as well as having something to do with being the only other center in the league who can come close to matching Howard’s skill set, he replied, “I don’t know what you want me to say.”

The thing is, we really don’t want him to say anything.

Many of us wish Howard had taken this approach when asked about playing his former Orlando Magic team, instead of defending his ridiculous actions once again while at the same time finally showing at least a little bit of contrition.

This time, he made the right choice.

1. phillyphannn83 - Dec 15, 2012 at 7:45 PM

the best part of this whole post:

“the Lakers finally got back in the win column Friday by beating the Wizards”

hahahahahaha

2. dal24la - Dec 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I’m actually on Howard’s side, why ask him about a player who hasn’t played all year.

• adoombray - Dec 15, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Yeah, the Bynum questions are only relevant if they have to defend each other on the court ; he’s correct in saying Bynum has nothing to do with this particular game, since he’s, you know, not playing in it.

3. tfoz5150 - Dec 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Let the man talk. I want to hear what he has to say. He’s a grown a$$ man. Maybe he thinks Bynum is the better center when healthy. Maybe he doesn’t . Big deal. The guy should be able to speak his mind and back it up on the court. Go ask Moses or DC.

4. howitzer819 - Dec 16, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Growing up in Orlando (albeit not as a Magic fan) I saw this guy run a very passionate fan-base into the ground every time he spoke for an entire year… and now he wants to stay quiet. We all hate you, Dwight.

5. omniusprime - Dec 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Howard was correct to ignore the moron sports pundit who kept asking him ignorant questions about Bynum. Dwight kept it short and sweet wishing Bynum well, so do I. Since Bynum isn’t playing in the game he’ll have no impact so Howard was correct in focusing on his own team’s plight. I’m sure Dwight is more concerned about Pau Gasol’s return which can’t come soon enough.

Let’s hope the Laker players can overcome the pathetic coaching of Dumbtoni to garner a second win in a row. Hopefully Howard will have a monster night while Bynum watches.

Go Howard!!! Go Kobe!!! Fire Dumbtoni!!! We Want Phil!!!

• manchestermiracle - Dec 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Your posts would be much better if you’d just lose that last line. Actually, the last half of the last line. Phil ain’t coming, get over it.

• ocgunslinger - Dec 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Fully agree. And moronic name calling reduces any value to a post.

6. dolphins4 - Dec 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Now if Bynum could only get healthy.

7. manchestermiracle - Dec 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

“The thing is, we really don’t want him to say anything.” Then don’t ask him questions about subjects you don’t want to hear him comment on. Seriously, what a childish statement.

• dedalus13 - Dec 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Yeah. Fully agree. Give him a break. I found myself scratching my head when I read that

8. thelakeshow562 - Dec 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM

dont get your panties in a bunch it’s just a post shame on that man for calling someone out there name come on man grow up if you don’t like peoples comments don’t post on I’m saying you don’t like them just don’t read them and get out there should be room for everyone’s comments and at leasing how they feel bad posts come on get out of here

• manchestermiracle - Dec 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Ouch. Again, in English this time, please.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches