Dec 14, 2012, 1:15 AM EDT
It was a perfect storm. Carmelo Anthony is hot, playing as well as anyone in the NBA right now. Anthony was also motivated — the coach he used to feud with was coming to town with his new team. And that new team — the Los Angeles Lakers — plays team defense about as well as you and those other four strangers you played pickup with at the park Wednesday.
The result was Carmelo Anthony with 22 points — in the first quarter. Watch it. That is pure.
After that first quarter where the Knicks as a team put up 41 the game was really over. Kobe Bryant tried, but the Lakers never seriously threatened this game. And if they had, we just might have seen first quarter Carmelo show up again.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 37
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 16
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 33
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20