Dec 14, 2012, 1:15 AM EDT
It was a perfect storm. Carmelo Anthony is hot, playing as well as anyone in the NBA right now. Anthony was also motivated — the coach he used to feud with was coming to town with his new team. And that new team — the Los Angeles Lakers — plays team defense about as well as you and those other four strangers you played pickup with at the park Wednesday.
The result was Carmelo Anthony with 22 points — in the first quarter. Watch it. That is pure.
After that first quarter where the Knicks as a team put up 41 the game was really over. Kobe Bryant tried, but the Lakers never seriously threatened this game. And if they had, we just might have seen first quarter Carmelo show up again.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43