Dec 14, 2012, 1:15 AM EDT
It was a perfect storm. Carmelo Anthony is hot, playing as well as anyone in the NBA right now. Anthony was also motivated — the coach he used to feud with was coming to town with his new team. And that new team — the Los Angeles Lakers — plays team defense about as well as you and those other four strangers you played pickup with at the park Wednesday.
The result was Carmelo Anthony with 22 points — in the first quarter. Watch it. That is pure.
After that first quarter where the Knicks as a team put up 41 the game was really over. Kobe Bryant tried, but the Lakers never seriously threatened this game. And if they had, we just might have seen first quarter Carmelo show up again.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 44
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11