Dec 14, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Former NBA player Shawne Williams was arrested Thursday on drug charges, according to a report from the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
An officer was on routine patrol outside a Cricket wireless store in the 3400 block of Austin Peay near the Raleigh Springs Mall. The officer approached Williams in his nearby Porsche Panamera after smelling marijuana, according to a police affidavit, and the 26-year-old Williams was asked to exit his vehicle.
Williams then said, “Officer I ain’t gonna lie to you, there’s a blunt in the car and some syrup,” according to the affidavit.
Williams was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and possession of a controlled substance with intent to manufacture, deliver or sell.
This isn’t the first time Williams has been in trouble with the law. He was arrested in 2007 and 2010 on similar charges.
Williams played five seasons professionally for five different teams, most recently as a member of the New Jersey Nets last year.
Williams has career averages of 5.7 points and 2.8 rebounds in 16.4 minutes per game, and is not assigned to an NBA team this season.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 0
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 3
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 33
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37