Dec 14, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Former NBA player Shawne Williams was arrested Thursday on drug charges, according to a report from the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
An officer was on routine patrol outside a Cricket wireless store in the 3400 block of Austin Peay near the Raleigh Springs Mall. The officer approached Williams in his nearby Porsche Panamera after smelling marijuana, according to a police affidavit, and the 26-year-old Williams was asked to exit his vehicle.
Williams then said, “Officer I ain’t gonna lie to you, there’s a blunt in the car and some syrup,” according to the affidavit.
Williams was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and possession of a controlled substance with intent to manufacture, deliver or sell.
This isn’t the first time Williams has been in trouble with the law. He was arrested in 2007 and 2010 on similar charges.
Williams played five seasons professionally for five different teams, most recently as a member of the New Jersey Nets last year.
Williams has career averages of 5.7 points and 2.8 rebounds in 16.4 minutes per game, and is not assigned to an NBA team this season.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 3
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 12
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 15
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43