Dec 14, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Former NBA player Shawne Williams was arrested Thursday on drug charges, according to a report from the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
An officer was on routine patrol outside a Cricket wireless store in the 3400 block of Austin Peay near the Raleigh Springs Mall. The officer approached Williams in his nearby Porsche Panamera after smelling marijuana, according to a police affidavit, and the 26-year-old Williams was asked to exit his vehicle.
Williams then said, “Officer I ain’t gonna lie to you, there’s a blunt in the car and some syrup,” according to the affidavit.
Williams was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and possession of a controlled substance with intent to manufacture, deliver or sell.
This isn’t the first time Williams has been in trouble with the law. He was arrested in 2007 and 2010 on similar charges.
Williams played five seasons professionally for five different teams, most recently as a member of the New Jersey Nets last year.
Williams has career averages of 5.7 points and 2.8 rebounds in 16.4 minutes per game, and is not assigned to an NBA team this season.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 10
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16