Dec 14, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Former NBA player Shawne Williams was arrested Thursday on drug charges, according to a report from the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
An officer was on routine patrol outside a Cricket wireless store in the 3400 block of Austin Peay near the Raleigh Springs Mall. The officer approached Williams in his nearby Porsche Panamera after smelling marijuana, according to a police affidavit, and the 26-year-old Williams was asked to exit his vehicle.
Williams then said, “Officer I ain’t gonna lie to you, there’s a blunt in the car and some syrup,” according to the affidavit.
Williams was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and possession of a controlled substance with intent to manufacture, deliver or sell.
This isn’t the first time Williams has been in trouble with the law. He was arrested in 2007 and 2010 on similar charges.
Williams played five seasons professionally for five different teams, most recently as a member of the New Jersey Nets last year.
Williams has career averages of 5.7 points and 2.8 rebounds in 16.4 minutes per game, and is not assigned to an NBA team this season.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 20
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80