Dec 14, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Former NBA player Shawne Williams was arrested Thursday on drug charges, according to a report from the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
An officer was on routine patrol outside a Cricket wireless store in the 3400 block of Austin Peay near the Raleigh Springs Mall. The officer approached Williams in his nearby Porsche Panamera after smelling marijuana, according to a police affidavit, and the 26-year-old Williams was asked to exit his vehicle.
Williams then said, “Officer I ain’t gonna lie to you, there’s a blunt in the car and some syrup,” according to the affidavit.
Williams was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and possession of a controlled substance with intent to manufacture, deliver or sell.
This isn’t the first time Williams has been in trouble with the law. He was arrested in 2007 and 2010 on similar charges.
Williams played five seasons professionally for five different teams, most recently as a member of the New Jersey Nets last year.
Williams has career averages of 5.7 points and 2.8 rebounds in 16.4 minutes per game, and is not assigned to an NBA team this season.
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 1
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 7
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 23
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 7
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 42