Dec 14, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT
The Knicks were well ahead and Anthony was probably only going to play a few more minutes when midway through the third quarter when he drove baseline, the Lakers help rotation was late (again) and he went up for a dunk. Then midair he got bumped by Dwight Howard going for a block and Anthony landed awkwardly tweaking his ankle (it wasn’t a dirty play, just unfortunate).
He left the game and did not return, and now it is not sure if he will be back for the Knicks next game, tweets Frank Isola of Newsday.
Carmelo, speaking with a small group of reporters, says he is not sure if he’ll play Saturday vs Cavs.
— Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) December 14, 2012
With ankle sprains, it’s really how it feels the next day that determines the severity. The Knicks likely will not make a call on him until Saturday.
But they would be smart to be cautious here — ‘Melo is playing well enough to move into the MVP conversation (such as it is 20 games into the season) and sprained ankles are more likely to aggravate if not fully healed. Once the ligament is stretched it will stretch again more easily. The Knicks don’t want this to become a lingering issue.
But we’ll see how Anthony feels Friday and 24 hours after that.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 21
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 12
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 17
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months