Dec 14, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT
The Knicks were well ahead and Anthony was probably only going to play a few more minutes when midway through the third quarter when he drove baseline, the Lakers help rotation was late (again) and he went up for a dunk. Then midair he got bumped by Dwight Howard going for a block and Anthony landed awkwardly tweaking his ankle (it wasn’t a dirty play, just unfortunate).
He left the game and did not return, and now it is not sure if he will be back for the Knicks next game, tweets Frank Isola of Newsday.
Carmelo, speaking with a small group of reporters, says he is not sure if he’ll play Saturday vs Cavs.
— Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) December 14, 2012
With ankle sprains, it’s really how it feels the next day that determines the severity. The Knicks likely will not make a call on him until Saturday.
But they would be smart to be cautious here — ‘Melo is playing well enough to move into the MVP conversation (such as it is 20 games into the season) and sprained ankles are more likely to aggravate if not fully healed. Once the ligament is stretched it will stretch again more easily. The Knicks don’t want this to become a lingering issue.
But we’ll see how Anthony feels Friday and 24 hours after that.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 18
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 13
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 46
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record