Dec 13, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
The Suns rolled out a new court design this season, and word has it that new uniforms were supposed to be there to match.
They’re likely coming next season or the one after, once the team decides on a design, and once they submit that design to the league for approval before the deadline to make such changes has passed.
In the meantime, Phoenix will be one of seven teams during the current season to showcase throwback jerseys for certain, somewhat meaningful contests.
The current edition of the Suns’ roster will debut their throwback threads on national television, when Phoenix hosts the Lakers on Jan. 30, as Nash makes his first appearance back at US Airways Center since a trade sent him to Los Angeles during the offseason.
“Every basketball player wants to wear their team’s throwback jerseys,” Suns guard Jared Dudley said after getting a sneak peek after shoot around on Wednesday. “It reminds me of Barkley and those good old days. Obviously, those black uniforms always stood out. As a kid, everyone loved those.”
The Suns will model the new, old look in 10 games this season, seven at home and three on the road.
Throwback jerseys can be hit or miss, or even fabricated altogether (see: OKC). But these ones seem to hit the mark, and should give fans in Phoenix something aesthetically pleasing to look at while witnessing the former face of the franchise in Steve Nash wearing the Forum Blue and Gold for the hated, visiting Lakers.
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 0
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7