Dec 13, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
The Suns rolled out a new court design this season, and word has it that new uniforms were supposed to be there to match.
They’re likely coming next season or the one after, once the team decides on a design, and once they submit that design to the league for approval before the deadline to make such changes has passed.
In the meantime, Phoenix will be one of seven teams during the current season to showcase throwback jerseys for certain, somewhat meaningful contests.
The current edition of the Suns’ roster will debut their throwback threads on national television, when Phoenix hosts the Lakers on Jan. 30, as Nash makes his first appearance back at US Airways Center since a trade sent him to Los Angeles during the offseason.
“Every basketball player wants to wear their team’s throwback jerseys,” Suns guard Jared Dudley said after getting a sneak peek after shoot around on Wednesday. “It reminds me of Barkley and those good old days. Obviously, those black uniforms always stood out. As a kid, everyone loved those.”
The Suns will model the new, old look in 10 games this season, seven at home and three on the road.
Throwback jerseys can be hit or miss, or even fabricated altogether (see: OKC). But these ones seem to hit the mark, and should give fans in Phoenix something aesthetically pleasing to look at while witnessing the former face of the franchise in Steve Nash wearing the Forum Blue and Gold for the hated, visiting Lakers.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (67)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'