Dec 13, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT
The Suns rolled out a new court design this season, and word has it that new uniforms were supposed to be there to match.
They’re likely coming next season or the one after, once the team decides on a design, and once they submit that design to the league for approval before the deadline to make such changes has passed.
In the meantime, Phoenix will be one of seven teams during the current season to showcase throwback jerseys for certain, somewhat meaningful contests.
The current edition of the Suns’ roster will debut their throwback threads on national television, when Phoenix hosts the Lakers on Jan. 30, as Nash makes his first appearance back at US Airways Center since a trade sent him to Los Angeles during the offseason.
“Every basketball player wants to wear their team’s throwback jerseys,” Suns guard Jared Dudley said after getting a sneak peek after shoot around on Wednesday. “It reminds me of Barkley and those good old days. Obviously, those black uniforms always stood out. As a kid, everyone loved those.”
The Suns will model the new, old look in 10 games this season, seven at home and three on the road.
Throwback jerseys can be hit or miss, or even fabricated altogether (see: OKC). But these ones seem to hit the mark, and should give fans in Phoenix something aesthetically pleasing to look at while witnessing the former face of the franchise in Steve Nash wearing the Forum Blue and Gold for the hated, visiting Lakers.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 12
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 20
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8