Suns to wear black throwback jerseys when Lakers visit Jan. 30

Dec 13, 2012, 8:37 PM EST

barkley black suns jersey

The Suns rolled out a new court design this season, and word has it that new uniforms were supposed to be there to match.

They’re likely coming next season or the one after, once the team decides on a design, and once they submit that design to the league for approval before the deadline to make such changes has passed.

In the meantime, Phoenix will be one of seven teams during the current season to showcase throwback jerseys for certain, somewhat meaningful contests.

From Jeramie McPeek of Suns.com:

The current edition of the Suns’ roster will debut their throwback threads on national television, when Phoenix hosts the Lakers on Jan. 30, as Nash makes his first appearance back at US Airways Center since a trade sent him to Los Angeles during the offseason.

“Every basketball player wants to wear their team’s throwback jerseys,” Suns guard Jared Dudley said after getting a sneak peek after shoot around on Wednesday. “It reminds me of Barkley and those good old days. Obviously, those black uniforms always stood out. As a kid, everyone loved those.”

The Suns will model the new, old look in 10 games this season, seven at home and three on the road.

Throwback jerseys can be hit or miss, or even fabricated altogether (see: OKC). But these ones seem to hit the mark, and should give fans in Phoenix something aesthetically pleasing to look at while witnessing the former face of the franchise in Steve Nash wearing the Forum Blue and Gold for the hated, visiting Lakers.

1. pudgalvin - Dec 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Perhaps because it just reminds me of a time when MJ was dominating the league, but I love those old Suns jerserys. Of course, I also like the 90’s Rocket jersey’s with the cartoon rocket too.

• cosanostra71 - Dec 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I know I’m about the only one, but I loved the cartoon jerseys. I heard they will be wearing some of those as throwbacks this year (I believe the Raptors are wearing them).

2. rickyspanish - Dec 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM

pudgalvin

I’m with you, the uniforms in the nineties were fresh.

3. fanofevilempire - Dec 14, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I hope they are not sporting the HOT SHORTS TOO…………….
    that could get ugly!!

oh boy

4. manchestermiracle - Dec 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Assuming Nash is even playing then….

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches