Dec 13, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
“Everybody in New York thinks the Knicks are Playboy bunnies, and I have been telling them for years the Knicks are a rabbit. They’re closer to a Playboy bunny this year but for the last few years these guys are like, ‘We have a really good team!’ And I say, ‘You really think that?’ And I say, ‘No, they don’t.’ But this is the best team they’ve had in a while.”
But if you read the entire Newsday post, Barkley has concerns — that the Knicks are regularly getting beat on the boards, that their three-point shooting will cool off, that fitting Amare Stoudemire back in with Carmelo Anthony is another hurdle to climb. Every one of those is a legitimate concern and why we should all be careful about reading too much into December results.
But even Barkley admits these Knicks are good. We knew some team in the East would break out of the pack to be the side to challenge the Heat come the playoffs (the road to the finals still goes through Miami). It looks like the Knicks could be that team. And if they keep playing like this they could pose a serious challenge, not just a paper one.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 0
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 3
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 4
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19