Dec 13, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
“Everybody in New York thinks the Knicks are Playboy bunnies, and I have been telling them for years the Knicks are a rabbit. They’re closer to a Playboy bunny this year but for the last few years these guys are like, ‘We have a really good team!’ And I say, ‘You really think that?’ And I say, ‘No, they don’t.’ But this is the best team they’ve had in a while.”
But if you read the entire Newsday post, Barkley has concerns — that the Knicks are regularly getting beat on the boards, that their three-point shooting will cool off, that fitting Amare Stoudemire back in with Carmelo Anthony is another hurdle to climb. Every one of those is a legitimate concern and why we should all be careful about reading too much into December results.
But even Barkley admits these Knicks are good. We knew some team in the East would break out of the pack to be the side to challenge the Heat come the playoffs (the road to the finals still goes through Miami). It looks like the Knicks could be that team. And if they keep playing like this they could pose a serious challenge, not just a paper one.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 12
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 24
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 65
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65