Dec 13, 2012, 7:46 PM EDT
Jim Buss is just like every Lakers fan, frustrated by the 9-13 start, the lackluster defensive rotations, the lack of any team identity, the injuries and more.
Except, he is part of the reason the Lakers are where they are — he’s the defacto owner now. He gets part of the blame.
In a text to Sam Amick of USA Today he simply sounded frustrated, like a lot of Lakers fans (just less angry).
“It’s very frustrating, because I think there are many little factors that are causing the issues that we’re having,” Buss wrote in a text message to USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday. “Nash, injuries, (a) new system. Like I said before, there are a lot of little ones, but the ones that figure to help the most would be Nash returning (and) Gasol returning and just playing together in a new system.”
Getting healthy certainly is the first step for the Lakers. As GM Mitch Kupchak has said, right now it is impossible to evaluate these Lakers because all the pieces aren’t there.
But the Lakers are a team without an identity, and if Buss wants to blame someone for that he can go find a mirror. The Lakers brought in two key new players in Steve Nash and Dwight Howard. They chose not to make a move with Mike Brown over the summer, bringing him back with a brand new offense installed during training camp. Then despite injuries that never allowed him to get his new offense running right, management moved to fire Brown and bring in Mike D’Antoni and his radically different offense and philosophy. On the fly with the season underway and injuries already hitting the roster.
And you wonder why this team has no identity?
The Lakers will start to find that identity at some point once they start to get healthy and the team plays together. The problem is the hole they dug themselves with the start will come back to haunt them when they play a lot of road playoff games.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36