Did Sam Bowie mislead Portland doctors before 1984 draft?

Dec 13, 2012, 8:44 AM EST

Sam Bowie Getty Images

It is one of the legendary misses of the NBA Draft.

In 1984 Houston had the first pick and took Hakeem Olajuwon in a move no sane person has ever questioned.

But with the second pick in the draft the Portland Trail Blazers took Kentucky center Sam Bowie over North Carolina guard Michael Jordan. Yes, that Michael Jordan. (Charles Barkley, Sam Perkins and John Stockton were also drafted later in that year.) The way the game was played then it was thought you needed a great true center to win (the Lakers had Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and the Celtics had Robert Parish at the time) and that a guard alone couldn’t win a title. Jordan changed that dynamic while Bowie had a career plagued by foot and leg problems and never came near his potential.

Now comes Bowie saying he was not honest with the Portland doctors at the time, the revelation part of a documentary called “Going Big,” which will air on ESPNU Dec. 20 (hat tip to Ball Don’t Lie).

“I can still remember them taking a little mallet, and when they would hit me on my left tibia, and ‘I don’t feel anything’ I would tell ‘em. But deep down inside, it was hurting. If what I did was lying and what I did was wrong, at the end of the day, when you have loved ones that have some needs, I did what any of us would have done…

“I’m 51 years old now and my legs are broke down. I’m very proud, don’t feel like I owe an apology to anyone. The bottom line is: Sam Bowie was drafted before Michael Jordan and you’re gonna have to accept that.”

Bowie had suffered a stress fracture as a sophomore at Kentucky, one that took a couple years to heal, and that was the start of the leg issues that held up his pro career. The revelation that he lied to Portland and NBA doctors about his health before the draft is new.

When ESPN used the quote above to promote their documentary, Bowie denied it to the Oregonian.

“Anybody that knows me, from the hierarchy in the Portland Trail Blazers during my playing days to my teammates to my friends and family, knows I would never deceive or trick or lie to anybody,” Bowie told The Oregonian during a phone interview Wednesday. “I wasn’t raised that way. You can call me a lot of things, but don’t look at me as though I deceived or tricked (the organization).

“I thought I would play 15 years and win a couple championships with the Blazers…

“My discomfort wasn’t to the point where I would say to the Portland Trail Blazers or anyone else, ‘My leg is extremely sore. I wouldn’t draft me. I don’t think I’m going to play a full career in the NBA,’” Bowie told The Oregonian. “That wasn’t the situation at all. The thing that bothers me is that I’m looked upon in some way as a liar. That’s never been my demeanor, my makeup, my character. By no means was I tricking or was it a premeditated position to lie and give somebody damaged goods. To say that I deliberately went into the Portland Trail Blazers’ front office and completely lied to them about my physical being could not be further form the truth.”

As teams do now, Portland had a full battery of tests done on Bowie before they drafted him, including X-rays and MRIs. They looked at everything. The doctors said he was good to go, Portland (which already had a promising young two guard in Clyde Drexler) went with the big man.

The rest of it is history.

Latest Posts
  1. Danny Ainge says uncertainty about Celtics’ ability to re-sign Rajon Rondo prompted trade to Dallas

Dec 19, 2014, 10:50 PM EST

Danny Ainge AP

There are a whole host of reasons Rondo was traded; this is just the most convenient for Boston’s brass.

2. Spurs’ Kawhi Leonard has torn ligament in right hand, return unclear

Dec 19, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

Kawhi Leonard AP

Leonard was the Finals MVP for San Antonio last season.

3. Kevin Durant to sit out vs. Lakers with ankle sprain

Dec 19, 2014, 6:35 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

This is the smart move by the Thunder.

4. Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston

Dec 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EST

Orlando Magic v Boston Celtics, Game 6 Getty Images

It’s kind of moot now, but it’s not a surprise.

5. Kobe Bryant says he’s not recruiting Kevin Durant to Lakers. Yet?

Dec 19, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant AP

Lakers star: ‘If the opportunity came up, then that’s the time to have that discussion’

6. Raptors unveil new logo, get ribbed by Nets’ official Twitter account about it

Dec 19, 2014, 4:29 PM EST

Nets v Raptors Eastern Conference Quarter Finals Game 7 Getty Images

Black-and-white version of Toronto’s new logo looks similar to Brooklyn’s

7. Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston

Dec 19, 2014, 2:56 PM EST

Minnesota Timberwolves v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

This gives the Rockets a little more depth on the wing with Harden and Ariza.

8. Kevin Durant (ankle injury) game-time decision vs. Lakers

Dec 19, 2014, 2:15 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Thunder star sprained ankle against Warriors

9. Report: Mavericks targeting Jermaine O’Neal to replace Brandan Wright

Dec 19, 2014, 1:04 PM EST

Golden State Warriors v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Sending Wright to the Celtics leaves major hole at backup center

10. Report: Mavericks “confident” they can re-sign Rajon Rondo

Dec 19, 2014, 12:28 PM EST

rondomavs

Mark Cuban is too smart to pull the trigger on this kind of deal unless he has word he can keep his man.

11. Report: Hornets pull Lance Stephenson off trade block

Dec 19, 2014, 11:51 AM EST

Charlotte Hornets v Miami Heat Getty Images

Heat and Nets among teams that showed interest

12. Mark Cuban finalized Rajon Rondo trade while on set for The Colbert Report finale

Dec 19, 2014, 11:15 AM EST

Mavericks owner, one of many celebrities singing off Stephen Colbert, had his priorities in line

13. Carmelo Anthony turning down the Bulls was a blessing in disguise for Chicago

Dec 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EST

Carmelo Anthony Carmelo Anthony

The Bulls are better off with their depth and flexibility.

14. Draymond Green ruins Stephen Curry’s behind-the-back highlight (video)

Dec 19, 2014, 9:08 AM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors

Warriors forward blows dunk, does everything else right in win over Thunder

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches