Brandon Roy back practicing with Timberwolves

Dec 13, 2012, 5:20 PM EST

Brandon Roy AP

A month after his seventh knee surgery, Brandon Roy is back on the practice court with the Minnesota Timberwolves, reports Jerry Zgoda at the Star Tribune.

It was non-contact, but he is back running and working out with teammates, taking steps toward getting back into games. Which would be a boost if he really could come back and be counted on for regular minutes and reasonable production. But that remains a big “if” from a guy who had to leave the game once already due to knee concerns, knees he has admitted are seriously arthritic.

But Roy said he had not entertained the idea of retirement.

“No,” he said when asked about reports that he’d considered leaving the game again. “A few people asked me that, and I don’t pay attention much to the media. I don’t really read that stuff. But I don’t know where that could have come from. But no, I never thought about walking away. It was, for me, just do I want to go through another procedure or do I want to play through it. That was more my question than walking away.”

Roy says he feels good but there is no timeline for his return. Anything they get from him would be a bonus.

The guy they need back is Ricky Rubio, and he could be playing again on Saturday, it appears.

1. fm31970 - Dec 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Didn’t he say a month ago that he was OK if this was it, and he could no longer play? Unless they are putting something in his knees to add cushioning, there’s nothing that can be done to help him. What doctor is going to agree to operate and think it will help him? He needs a double knee replacement, period.

At some point you have to accept that it’s over, and move on to the next phase of your life.

2. 00maltliquor - Dec 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM

He’s taking a whole new meaning to phrase “rollin’ ’till the wheels fall off”.

Give it up Brandon, just give it up.

3. eventhorizon04 - Dec 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I respect the devotion he’s showing to the game. Even when he does play, I’m sure it’s painful given the lack of cartilage in the knee. If not for his knee issues derailing his career, I really think he’d be a top-5 shooting guard by now, along with Kobe, Wade, Johnson, and Harden.

That being said – he had a year off from basketball, had the Orthokine/”Kobe Treatment” in Germany, and knee problems are popping up *already*, requiring knee surgery just 5 games into the season.
    I’m rooting for him to make it, but the early signs aren’t good. His numbers are down across the board, and he’s missing a lot of games.

4. willardj - Dec 13, 2012 at 9:51 PM

If only Roy could trade his knees with Adrian Peterson

• albertmn - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Leave AP’s knees alone! He is the Vikings ONLY offensive weapon.

5. glink123 - Dec 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM

This is sad, really. Give the guy a position in the organization if he’s struggling with leaving the sport. Do like the Bulls did with Pippen. Dude needs to be able to walk for the next 50 years. A wheelchair at 40 isn’t worth one more season.

6. albertmn - Dec 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM

With Rubio likely back before Roy, I am guessing Roy will only be in line for 10-15 minutes a game anyway. Barring other injuries, the Wolves would have Rubio, Shved, Ridnour, Barea, (and Lee), giving them 6 options at guard. There would be no reason to play Roy heavy minutes. His knees might allow him to survive 10 minutes a night and be productive. If he doesn’t make it back, the Wolves will roll with the options they have and be just fine.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches