Dec 12, 2012, 11:55 PM EST
Miami had this.
Golden State had led most of the second half and were getting buckets from Klay Thompson — a fearless gunner who finished with 27 — and David Lee, who was getting his buckets in the paint on his way to 22 on the night. Then there was Jarrett Jack, who had 20 and was running the point efficiently. Golden State was making a statement that they are not just lucky early in the season, they can play.
But you knew the Miami run would come. It did. They went on an 11-4 run in the fourth quarter to grab the lead and took a four point lead 95-91 with 3:18 left when LeBron James outworked everybody on the boards and got it to Dwyane Wade for a floater in the lane.
But those were the final points Miami would score. And if there is one thing Golden State can keep doing, it is score.
They cut it to two on a Stephen Curry jumper, then they tied it on their next possession with some free throws from Lee.
Then they won it on the possession you see above. The play was designed to go to one of several triggers the Heat blew up, so the next option goes to Thompson who comes off a Draymond Green screen and that is when it happens — Battier leaves Green to cut off a pass to Thompson, the best shooter on the floor (which is the high percentage move by Battier). Then Green dives to the basket uncovered, Jack hits him with the pass and on quick layup later Heat get beat at home. Because of a defensive lapse. Again.
By the way, LeBron had 31 for the Heat. I don’t think he cares much about that tonight.
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 5
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 10
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 18
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 12
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 27
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 30
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 13