Dec 12, 2012, 11:55 PM EST
Miami had this.
Golden State had led most of the second half and were getting buckets from Klay Thompson — a fearless gunner who finished with 27 — and David Lee, who was getting his buckets in the paint on his way to 22 on the night. Then there was Jarrett Jack, who had 20 and was running the point efficiently. Golden State was making a statement that they are not just lucky early in the season, they can play.
But you knew the Miami run would come. It did. They went on an 11-4 run in the fourth quarter to grab the lead and took a four point lead 95-91 with 3:18 left when LeBron James outworked everybody on the boards and got it to Dwyane Wade for a floater in the lane.
But those were the final points Miami would score. And if there is one thing Golden State can keep doing, it is score.
They cut it to two on a Stephen Curry jumper, then they tied it on their next possession with some free throws from Lee.
Then they won it on the possession you see above. The play was designed to go to one of several triggers the Heat blew up, so the next option goes to Thompson who comes off a Draymond Green screen and that is when it happens — Battier leaves Green to cut off a pass to Thompson, the best shooter on the floor (which is the high percentage move by Battier). Then Green dives to the basket uncovered, Jack hits him with the pass and on quick layup later Heat get beat at home. Because of a defensive lapse. Again.
By the way, LeBron had 31 for the Heat. I don’t think he cares much about that tonight.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 17
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13