Dec 12, 2012, 11:55 PM EDT
Miami had this.
Golden State had led most of the second half and were getting buckets from Klay Thompson — a fearless gunner who finished with 27 — and David Lee, who was getting his buckets in the paint on his way to 22 on the night. Then there was Jarrett Jack, who had 20 and was running the point efficiently. Golden State was making a statement that they are not just lucky early in the season, they can play.
But you knew the Miami run would come. It did. They went on an 11-4 run in the fourth quarter to grab the lead and took a four point lead 95-91 with 3:18 left when LeBron James outworked everybody on the boards and got it to Dwyane Wade for a floater in the lane.
But those were the final points Miami would score. And if there is one thing Golden State can keep doing, it is score.
They cut it to two on a Stephen Curry jumper, then they tied it on their next possession with some free throws from Lee.
Then they won it on the possession you see above. The play was designed to go to one of several triggers the Heat blew up, so the next option goes to Thompson who comes off a Draymond Green screen and that is when it happens — Battier leaves Green to cut off a pass to Thompson, the best shooter on the floor (which is the high percentage move by Battier). Then Green dives to the basket uncovered, Jack hits him with the pass and on quick layup later Heat get beat at home. Because of a defensive lapse. Again.
By the way, LeBron had 31 for the Heat. I don’t think he cares much about that tonight.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30