Dec 12, 2012, 11:55 PM EDT
Miami had this.
Golden State had led most of the second half and were getting buckets from Klay Thompson — a fearless gunner who finished with 27 — and David Lee, who was getting his buckets in the paint on his way to 22 on the night. Then there was Jarrett Jack, who had 20 and was running the point efficiently. Golden State was making a statement that they are not just lucky early in the season, they can play.
But you knew the Miami run would come. It did. They went on an 11-4 run in the fourth quarter to grab the lead and took a four point lead 95-91 with 3:18 left when LeBron James outworked everybody on the boards and got it to Dwyane Wade for a floater in the lane.
But those were the final points Miami would score. And if there is one thing Golden State can keep doing, it is score.
They cut it to two on a Stephen Curry jumper, then they tied it on their next possession with some free throws from Lee.
Then they won it on the possession you see above. The play was designed to go to one of several triggers the Heat blew up, so the next option goes to Thompson who comes off a Draymond Green screen and that is when it happens — Battier leaves Green to cut off a pass to Thompson, the best shooter on the floor (which is the high percentage move by Battier). Then Green dives to the basket uncovered, Jack hits him with the pass and on quick layup later Heat get beat at home. Because of a defensive lapse. Again.
By the way, LeBron had 31 for the Heat. I don’t think he cares much about that tonight.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 5
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 15
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 66
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 51
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 29
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4