Dec 12, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
The Lakers are in desperate need of point guard help, and are rumored to be weighing the Delonte West option for some immediate assistance until Steve Nash and Steve Blake are healthy enough to return to action.
L.A. is a disaster at this point in the season, so the desperation is understandable. It’s a little less so in Memphis.
The Grizzlies are off to a surprising 14-4 start, with legitimate wins over some of the league’s elite team’s included in that record. Mike Conley is having a breakout year in the starting point guard role, and Jerryd Bayless has seemed at least serviceable filling the void at that position off the bench.
Yet, the Grizzlies are looking to add some additional depth at the position from an unlikely source.
From Sam Amick of USA Today:
According to two people with knowledge of the situation, the Memphis Grizzlies are working out veteran point guard Mike Bibby today in Phoenix. Bibby, the 34-year-old who lives in the Phoenix area, has been out of work since playing 39 games for the New York Knicks last season.
According to one of the people who requested anonymity because of the private nature of the situation, the Grizzlies are one of “four or five” teams that will be working him out as he attempts to sign on with a team for the second half of the season.The Lakers, however, are not one of them.
Bibby appeared in 39 games for the Knicks last season, but didn’t play particularly well while doing so.
His shooting was dreadful, as Bibby finished the year with a career-low 28.2 field goal percentage. He’s never been known for his defense, and has actually made his team worse in that department in the late stages of his career. We should note that Henry Bibby, Mike’s father, is a Grizzlies assistant coach.
By bringing in Bibby, the Grizzlies would simply be adding a form of insurance to their team, should something catastrophic happen. We’ll see if Memphis believes he’s the right person to provide that coverage, or if there’s someone else out there who they believe may be better-suited to fill that spot at the end of the bench.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38