Dec 12, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
The Lakers are in desperate need of point guard help, and are rumored to be weighing the Delonte West option for some immediate assistance until Steve Nash and Steve Blake are healthy enough to return to action.
L.A. is a disaster at this point in the season, so the desperation is understandable. It’s a little less so in Memphis.
The Grizzlies are off to a surprising 14-4 start, with legitimate wins over some of the league’s elite team’s included in that record. Mike Conley is having a breakout year in the starting point guard role, and Jerryd Bayless has seemed at least serviceable filling the void at that position off the bench.
Yet, the Grizzlies are looking to add some additional depth at the position from an unlikely source.
From Sam Amick of USA Today:
According to two people with knowledge of the situation, the Memphis Grizzlies are working out veteran point guard Mike Bibby today in Phoenix. Bibby, the 34-year-old who lives in the Phoenix area, has been out of work since playing 39 games for the New York Knicks last season.
According to one of the people who requested anonymity because of the private nature of the situation, the Grizzlies are one of “four or five” teams that will be working him out as he attempts to sign on with a team for the second half of the season.The Lakers, however, are not one of them.
Bibby appeared in 39 games for the Knicks last season, but didn’t play particularly well while doing so.
His shooting was dreadful, as Bibby finished the year with a career-low 28.2 field goal percentage. He’s never been known for his defense, and has actually made his team worse in that department in the late stages of his career. We should note that Henry Bibby, Mike’s father, is a Grizzlies assistant coach.
By bringing in Bibby, the Grizzlies would simply be adding a form of insurance to their team, should something catastrophic happen. We’ll see if Memphis believes he’s the right person to provide that coverage, or if there’s someone else out there who they believe may be better-suited to fill that spot at the end of the bench.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 46
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31