Dec 12, 2012, 2:12 PM EST
The Lakers are in desperate need of point guard help, and are rumored to be weighing the Delonte West option for some immediate assistance until Steve Nash and Steve Blake are healthy enough to return to action.
L.A. is a disaster at this point in the season, so the desperation is understandable. It’s a little less so in Memphis.
The Grizzlies are off to a surprising 14-4 start, with legitimate wins over some of the league’s elite team’s included in that record. Mike Conley is having a breakout year in the starting point guard role, and Jerryd Bayless has seemed at least serviceable filling the void at that position off the bench.
Yet, the Grizzlies are looking to add some additional depth at the position from an unlikely source.
From Sam Amick of USA Today:
According to two people with knowledge of the situation, the Memphis Grizzlies are working out veteran point guard Mike Bibby today in Phoenix. Bibby, the 34-year-old who lives in the Phoenix area, has been out of work since playing 39 games for the New York Knicks last season.
According to one of the people who requested anonymity because of the private nature of the situation, the Grizzlies are one of “four or five” teams that will be working him out as he attempts to sign on with a team for the second half of the season.The Lakers, however, are not one of them.
Bibby appeared in 39 games for the Knicks last season, but didn’t play particularly well while doing so.
His shooting was dreadful, as Bibby finished the year with a career-low 28.2 field goal percentage. He’s never been known for his defense, and has actually made his team worse in that department in the late stages of his career. We should note that Henry Bibby, Mike’s father, is a Grizzlies assistant coach.
By bringing in Bibby, the Grizzlies would simply be adding a form of insurance to their team, should something catastrophic happen. We’ll see if Memphis believes he’s the right person to provide that coverage, or if there’s someone else out there who they believe may be better-suited to fill that spot at the end of the bench.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 16
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11